Sixty six

One night, Shoto climbed out of his bed and quietly made his way down the hall until he reached Touya's room.

He reached up and opened the door, some of the light shining in showing the Touya's back was facing the door. Just his flaming red hair was sticking out of the covers.

"Are you awake, Touya?" Shoto asked quietly.

Touya sits up from the many pillows on his bed. "No, come in." He says. Shoto steps in and closes the door behind him and walks further into the once again dark room and climbs on the bed.

"Why are you up?" Touya asked while wrapping his arms around Shoto.

"I had a nightmare. I couldn't go back to sleep." Shoto says.

Touya runs his fingers through Shoto's hair. "Mom used to be the best when it came to nightmares. Remember when you used to hug us so tight, she said she was squeezing the bad dreams out."

"Yeah, I miss her."

"I miss her too."

"Do you think she'll ever come back?" Shoto asked.

Touya looked Shoto in his eye.(His other eye is still bandaged)

"I don't know buddy. I wish I can tell you."

It was a short pause until Shoto spoke up again. "I don't like it when Dad yells at me."

Touya flinched slightly. "I know."

"I don't like it when he hits me either."

"Me either." Touya says. "How bad does it hurt?"

"It stings when he slaps me, and my arms burn when he grabs and pulls me." Shoto says. Then he rubs his head. "He pulls me by the hair sometimes."

"Your lucky, at least he doesn't punch you."

"Punches?"

Touya nods. "One time he hit me in the stomach and I couldn't breathe."

"What did you do?" Shoto asked.

"Nothing, I just laid there. I thought if I just stayed down, he wouldn't do anything else."

"Do you have any new bruises?" Shoto asked curiously.

Touya turns his head to the side showing hand marks on his neck. "He grabbed me here." Then he goes to lift his shirt partly showing a few bruises on his stomach. "This was from what I told you about." Then he showed a bruise under his eye. "And this was from a week back."

It was unfortunate that it was something the brothers often bonded over.

"Does dad hate us, Touya?" Shoto asked.

"I don't know."

"How come he's never angry with Fuyumi or Natsou? Why does he only get angry with us?"

"I guess...I guess..." Touya couldn't find an answer. "I guess, he's just angry with himself, and...he picks on those who he thinks is worthy of his wrath."

"I don't want to end up like him."

"You won't. I don't ever want to hear you say that again."

Touya holds Shoto closer. "You're nothing like that brute. So you don't ever have to worry about that happening."

It was another short pause when the baby brother spoke up again. "What do you think about Midnight?"

"What about her?"

"She's really nice and stuff. What do you think about her?" Shoto asked curiously.

"She's alright. I like how she shows that old man a thing or two."

"Yeah, she's not scared of him. She even stopped him from hitting me once."

"It's only much she can do, I give her that. She's really pretty too."

"Yeah, she is. And she smells so good."

"You really like her, huh?" Touya asked.

Shoto nods. "She takes care of me."

"So, do you think of her as like a mom?"

It took a few seconds for Shoto to answer. "Well, she's like a mommy until our mommy comes back."

Touya nods. "Let's get some sleep." He pulls the blankets up to Shoto's chin and placed a kiss on top of his head.

Shoto snuggles into Touya and the many pillows on the bed.