The famous tattoo artist, model, designer, photographer and darling of the cultural scene in New York has been really kind to me while we were having dinner, although distant and reserved at the same time. Ruby Rose doesn't talk much but she's a good observer when she's surrounded by people she doesn't trust, I guess she behaves different when she's alone with her friends, but I can't deny that she's special, very talented and plays her role of an eccentric artist very well. Because that's what I believe it is, a role, whilst the real Ruby is hidden safely inside her.

I recognize the signs because I'm an observer too, quiet and reserved, due to my shyness and the lack of confidence in my case... I don't think that's her problem, this tattooed goddess has fought for success starting from the ground up, she knows she's good at her job and looks at ease talking to magazine editors, models, fashion company CEOs... She wouldn't be able to run so many businesses that successfully if she weren't confident in her talent and it's pretty obvious that the artist has that quality which some people own and attracts everybody else with their magnetic force, but she rations it wisely and never wastes it. I feel that knowing the real Ruby is a luxury for the privileged few who can be called her friends and I'm sure I'm not one of those... I don't care, I'm happy admiring her from afar while she takes a sip at the drink I've paid for and all the women in this club try to flirt with her... In fact, I could swear that the blonde giggling like a stupid while leaning her boobs on the tattooed arm to be able to whisper something in her ear is married to a famous lawyer...

"Iselen, come and dance... We'll introduce you to the DJ..." Elvira gestures at me from the dancefloor along with Ivy and Thyra and I nod, getting closer cautiously because I don't want to spill my drink and trying to ignore the fact that I grazed Ruby's bare arm when I walked by her... I have to remind myself she's not for me. "It's a pity Louise can't come to our dinners anymore, she can't drink because of the baby and besides, she spends most of the day sleeping..."

"She'd better sleep as much as she can now, she won't be able later..." I chuckle while following them to the DJ booth. "I have a baby nephew," I explain when noticing their confused faces.

"Good evening, ladies. Do you have any special request?" The DJ greets us kindly and starts flirting with Thyra boldly while the girls ask for their favourite songs and I keep drinking. It's still early, there's still a lot of night ahead to have fun and luckily I have a high tolerance for alcohol.

*****

"Wait, I have to find the key..." I whisper shaking my head to try to clear my mind, rummaging in my bag under the soft light of the lamp hanging on the corridor wall. I struggle to unlock the door for a minute, it's a complicated operation because my hand is shaking after drinking 6 or 7 Cosmopolitans, but above all because a beautiful woman encloses my waist with her arms and nibbles at my nape sending a shiver down my spine. "Done!"

I open the door and we both trip over the small rug in our haste to walk into my small studio. I drop the bag on the floor carelessly and hug her shoulders, kissing her while she pushes my back against the wall, I lean my leg on her hip and her tongue goes deep in my mouth tearing a moan from my throat and, all of a sudden, a flash of lucidity in my brain makes me wonder how I got here. Ruby Rose pulls away to take off her shirt with awkward movements before unbuttoning mine, stopping to kiss me again, I'm barely able to take a quick look at her tattoos when her hands getting rid of my lace bra grab my attention... And I remember.

The entire group seemed more relaxed after a few drinks, we danced and laughed, drank more and I realized I was jumping from conversation to conversation: Savannah introduced me to some friends, Ivy asked me if I wanted another Cosmopolitan, Thyra wanted to know if I had a tattoo... Actually not, but I was thinking of getting one... Vinnia wanted to know where I had bought my shirt, it was by Zara, nothing very special but she liked it anyways... And suddenly I found myself in front of Ruby Rose who was leaned on a column trying to hide from the lawyer's wife who seemed determined to flirt with her. I told her I thought her name was very poetic taking advantage of the bravery the liquor gave me, she smiled and said that an author would think so probably, we talked about art and books...