𝟭𝟲. rozwell

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
[ season two, episode nine ]
your best bet is to stay away !

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     Sometimes Natalia ends up thinking; Would it be better if the whole of humanity just disappeared? Leave nothing but the animals and nature where all of them are in peace — unlike when there are humans around them. Would it be better if they just let the whole virus take over the planet? Would it stop the never-ending pain and suffering?

     So many what-ifs in her mind, yet she couldn't bring herself to really do whatever.

    Maybe she was scared... I mean, it was normal. Because if you aren't scared, then you aren't human at all. Everyone feels fear, even if you're the Murphy.

    Despite the tranquility and the lack of zombies, she felt such a heavy weight on her shoulders even though she wasn't carrying the world. Her head laid on a certain boy's shoulder, drifting in and out of sleep in the moving jeep wrangler where all of them were riding with Warren who was in the driver seat.

     It was midnight, and the stars were twinkling as bright as the moon, the only light source came from them, and the headlights of the car. There was nothing around them but the spreading desert, and the cold gust of wind. She didn't even see at least one zombie along the road, but it was better since for once, Natalia actually felt so tired of killing around for fun.

    "We need to get off the road," Vasquez spoke as soon as Warren lowered the volume of the car radio playing a random country song.

     "I don't like being so far into ZEROS territory. But I guess we really don't have a choice."

    Natalia slightly shifted on her seat (which isn't much of a seat, but it works the same) in the very back of the jeep, next to 10K, who was holding the railings, leaning against his hand. She snuggled against his side, fiddling with her cold fingers on her lap. The sound of the radio tune filling the comfortable silence once more, giving a chill vibe because of the endless desert and the bright moon.

     Well, not until the car radio started malfunctioning, resuming, and stopping over again. She didn't like it. It felt like a whole horror movie.

     "Wait," Murphy muttered, perking up on his seat between Doc and Addy, looking at something on the road, causing Warren to slow down the car, but didn't stop. "What's that?

     All of them followed his gaze, and Natalia raised her head from 10K's shoulder as he used his flashlight and shone it at the thing lying on the asphalt road. She grimaced in disgust, seeing the sliced-up zombie growling helplessly on the ground, unable to stand because of his amputated limbs. Out of all the zombies they could've encountered — it just had to be a brutally sliced one?

     "That is a new one."

     "I want whatever did that." 10K grinned from beside her. She merely shook her head in amusement.

     "Some kind of samurai surgeon."

     "A samurai does sound great."

     "Some things, you just can't unsee."

    Then suddenly, 10K cocked his pistol with one hand, raising it up, causing the redhead and the half-Japanese to cover their ears before he could pull the trigger. The gunshot echoed throughout the empty road, filling the silence with the loud noise for a second before everything went completely silent once again.

     "Four thousand two hundred and thirty-four," The boy counted, causing some eyes to turn toward him. "And a third."

     Doc shook his head in disbelief. "Take the whole kill. You deserve it, kid."