𝟬𝟲. in fate's hand

CHAPTER SIX
[ season one, episode seven ]
is this more than you bargained for yet ?

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝗙rom where Natalia Ackerman sat; she could hear Citizen Z's voice crack through the radio as he mourned with them for the sudden death of Charles Garnett who had been with the group since the start. The air around them was tense, and it felt like something was missing. But the truck continued to drive to wherever the road leads them. 

     Everything was just so sudden that they had no idea what to do next.

     Roberta Warren was heartbroken just as they were although some hid it better. Natalia owed him her life. If it wasn't for him, she wouldn't be there with them right now. She would still be stuck somewhere in New York slowly going out of her own mind. Her heart churned at the thought. It's true. Once the person's gone, you started to regret the things you've done wrong to them, and hope you should've done better when they were alive.

     That's exactly what they were all feeling right now. There was this feeling deep inside them, telling them that it wasn't enough. They should've said something more or acted like this and that before he died. But it was too late. It's always too late because the world's fucked up like that.

     Believe it or not, Charles Garnett held the team together even for a short time. He was a true hero, a part of saving the hope for humanity (which was Murphy even though he can be a dickhead most of the time).

     Natalia snapped out of her dazed state when she heard something break inside the vehicle as it slowed down in the middle of the road out of nowhere. The heat was unbearable and she wished she was somewhere cold.  Maybe she could call up Citizen Z to fetch her and come back with him to where the hell he was. She cursed under her breath and jumped down from the back of the truck with 10K.

     Regrouping with the others, she threw her arms up in the air from frustration at the sight of their broken car. She looked back at the front to see Mack and Addy a little far from them in their motorcycle, having no clue that the car just broke down. Although not a minute later, the couple came back to them to see what went on. 

     She squinted at the sunlight that hit her eyes, placing a hand above her face before looking at the sharpshooter who was checking the damage under the car.

     "Radiator?"

     "Yeah."

     "Fixable?"

     "Don't know."

     Doc and Mack exchanged words with each other, and at the old man's unsure answer, a frustrated look washed over their faces. Try being stuck in the middle of nowhere without anything at all. Not even food or a drop of water. Only zombies and the scorching sun.

     "If only we have a mechanic," Murphy muttered.

     Natalia huffed and glanced at the man who was supposed to be the cure of the virus. He was obviously aiming his words at the mourning woman inside the vehicle. She adjusted her tank top and walked back to the back of the car, leaning against it as she crossed her arms. 10K was underneath the vehicle, trying to fix whatever the damage was.