Chapter 24

Third Person POV

[January 15, 2046, at the wall]

"Wait. Where's Sunshine and the kids below 4 years old?" Ray asked as he stared at the burning House from the top of the wall.

"We left the kids under five years old. As for Sunshine. . ." Emma said as she heaved, holding onto the rope tightly, "She's creating a distraction."

"But how can they escape? How can Sunshine escape?" Ray asked continuously.

"I have considered what you said before." Emma gritted her teeth as gripped the rope with the help of Anna and Alice.

[Flashback]

"All good so far. We got everyone five and above on board." Don said.

"They were obviously shocked, but I think it will work out." Gilda continued in a soft voice.

"We're working on the next stage of training, too." Don finished. 

"Thank you." Emma said. 

"So, what now? Do we tell the younger ones?" Don asked. Emma's expression fell.

"Do you think they will believe us? And if they do, can they keep the plan secret?" Emma asked sadly.

"That's not all. Can we really take them along?"

"Eh?"

"It's not that I don't believe in Norman's plan. But there's a cliff, it will be winter, Norman's gone and Sunshine's plan is not here yet. Even after we escape, we'll have to expect the unexpected out in the wild. I know this is really late, but I feel like Ray made a good point." Gilda said as her voice started wavering. 

"You mean. . ." Don trails off as he stared at Gilda.

"We must not lead them to their deaths by getting them out of here."

"But if we leave them behind, they will be shipped out." Don tried to argue.

"I know! I know that but. . . " Gilda said before pausing. She looked down as she guilt is eating her sense.

"We really can't leave them behind." Emma said softly as she smiled sadly. "Ray's right, and so are you, Gilda. But I have enough of people get shipped out." Emma continued as her voice starts to waver. 

"Right?" Don said as he crossed his arms and looked up. Silence emerged from the three. 

We'll take our entire family along." Emma said with a smile as she look at Gilda. "Let's run away, all of us."  Gilda said nothing and instead she looked down.

"'All of us'?" Gilda whispered.

"What's wrong?" Don asked worriedly as he looked at Gilda. 

"Well. . ." Gilda hesitated before having the courage. "What about the kids in the other plants?" Gilda blurted out absentmindedly. Emma gasped as she too realizes it. "Can we really run away by ourselves? We've never met them, but they're right here, aren't they? There are others that live in ignorance, just like we did?" Emma and Don just stared at her in shock, speechless even.

"Sorry! Forget it!" Gilda said. Don cleared his throat before looking at Emma.

"What do we do, Emma?" Don asked. Emma looked down.

"Right, we can't ignore them." Emma whispered. She took out the pen and stared at it. 

"Since we can't disturb Sunshine, please get Phil for me." Emma said as she look up to meet Gilda's gaze. Gilda nods and went out to get Phil. Moments later, Phil is smiling up at Emma as he thought of one thing.