Chapter 23

Third Person's POV

[January 15, 2046, 12:00 AM, House]

"Ray?" Sunshine asked as he stared at the doors where a heavy smoke and a bright orange glow is coming out from.

What is this stench?

Isabella covered her mouth as she stared at the door for a few moments. Sunshine held Isabella's sleeve tightly. Isabella opened the door to reveal a hunched body of Emma while shouting Ray's name in the blazing fire. 

"Ray!" Emma sobbed as she stared at the fire. "RAY!" Isabella looked terrified as Emma kept on shouting Ray's name.

"Ray. . .?" Sunshine whispered as she stared at the fire. She tugged Isabella's sleeve to get her attention. Isabella looked over to see Sunshine's blank look while pointing at the fire. ". . .is there?"

"Ray?" Isabella hurried over to Emma's hunched form and knelt beside her, Sunshine stayed back as she witnessed the encounter. "Emma!"

"Mama! Help me! Ray. . ." Emma sobbed as she points at the blazing fire. "Ray's in there!" Isabella looked shocked at what Emma just said.  Isabella looked over to Emma before looking back to Sunshine. Sunshine had a scared look as she approached the fire with a trance.

"Ray. . . is in there?" Sunshine said as she slowly approached the fire. She started sweating and shaking as she walked past the two and was about to run when she is stopped by Isabella.

"Sunshine, NO!" Isabella shouts as she gripped the wrist of Sunshine and tugged her back. She stumbled as she 'broke free from her trance'. Isabella stands up and opened her tracker, and there is a glowing on the fire. Isabella thought to herself.

'Did he set himself on fire?'

Isabella let out a 'tch' as she ran out of the room, dragging Sunshine with her. he instructed her to gather the toddlers in her room. Sunshine obeyed as she ran to where the nursery is. She bumped into Gilda, who gave her a nod. Isabella then saw Gilda.

"Gilda! Take the other kids and get out of here!"

"Yes!" Gilda nodded as she, too, ran away. Shouts san be heard from the kids as they ran away. Sunshine knew that the other kids and toddlers are outside so she went to the sink where a scalpel and first aid kit is waiting. 

After a moment, Emma appeared. Emma pants heavily as she steady herself while Sunshine cuts her left ear. Without a moment of hesitation, Sunshine sliced the base of her left ear and placed it in the bucket rather harshly, causing it to trample down. Sunshine is quick to cover the wound with a clean cloth and she was about to tape it when Emma stopped her.

"We don't have much time." Sunshine nods and picked up the med supplies and they both ran outside. 

"I'll see you later. Place this on top of my carrier bag." Sunshine said as she grabbed the scalpel and a clean cloth and tossed the kit to Emma. Emma nods and sprints to the forest. "Don't forget the letters!"

"I won't!" Emma shouts as she disappeared in the dark forest. Sunshine inhaled deeply to calm her nerves before running to where Phil gathered the other kids.

Let's do this sht.

"Sunshine!" Phil shouts as soon as she saw Sunshine. She smiled nervously as she hugs Phil.

"Hide this in your shirt." Sunshine whispered before passing the wrapped scalpel to Phil secretly. Phil nods before hiding it underneath.

"Sunshine!"