Chapter 22

Third Person POV

[January 14, 2046, 11:40 PM, Dining Hall]

Silence emerged between the two. Then, Emma decided to speak first.

"I was thinking about what to do to honor Norman's memory. The answer was. . . to do nothing." Emma said. Ray just stared at her. "You know what Mama said? Accept it and feel at ease. Just like Sunshine. But. . . Like hell I was going to give up! And I know Sunshine haven't too."

"What about you, Ray?" Emma asked. Ray averts his gaze. He them smiled and placed the book on the table.

"Great minds think alike, right?" Ray said. "And I know that Sunshine has a plan. Not just this extreme."

"Yeah." Emma agrees. "Let's run away, Ray. That's what I'm talking about."

"I've wanted to discuss that, too. We've never talked in the past two months because Mama is watching. And also I don't want to spoil Sunshine's plan if Mama ever caught us talking." Ray said as he faced Emma.

"Yes. I didn't want her catching on to our real goal."

"'Our' real goal?" Ray asked confused.

"Me and Sunshine's true goal. Mama is very cautious even though she is successful in diverting her attention whenever one of the kids are near me. And Sunshine gave me that advantage. By keeping her eyes trained to me and Sunshine, we could make her blind to everyone else." Emma explains.

"You mean, Don and Gilda?" Ray perked up.

"Yes. I let them handle all, including training the kids and various other preparations."

"How far did they get?"

"It's all done. We have all the equipment, food, and cold-weather gear we need. We can escape anytime we want." Emma said. Ray crossed his arms.

"Perfect. Now the question is how we escape."

"Me and Sunshine also have a plan for that. Before you get shipped, let's escape tomorrow afternoon." Emma declares.

"Hang on. That's too big a risk." Ray stopped Emma. "The situation has changed. We have to escape at night when it's easier to hide." Emma was about to retort but Ray stopped her once more. "Just hear me out. Take a seat." They both took a seat as they continued discussing the plan.

"Listen. We have two hurdles to clear. First, Mom's surveillance. She's always watching over us, especially Sunshine since that brat agreed to be a Mama, now she's stuck to her side. Daytime goes without saying, but she also sleeps in the same room as the toddlers. To get everyone out, she'll have to be distracted and away from the kids.

"Secondly, the cliff beyond the wall." Ray said as he took a piece of paper with an illustration of the Grace Field House and showed it to Emma. "We can't go there. A bridge is the only possible escape route. But there's only one bridge. It's bound to have guards, and security will get even tighter if word of an escape attempt get's out. What's worse, it's right next to HQ. There will be loads of monsters around.

"How will you solve these problems. Emma?" Ray asked. Emma stared at Ray. Ray then looked to the side where a box is sitting quietly. "I think this is the best way." Ray said as he stands up and made his way to the box. He takes out one content and showed it to Emma.

"Petrol?" 

"I'll spark a flame in this House at night." Ray states.

"You mean you'll start a fire?!" Emma exclaimed.