Ch 28

'Yeah... we need to do something about these watchers...' Xamphe stated, poking Etho's corpse with his foot. 

'Really? I hadn't realised...' False muttered sarcastically. 'What's your plan?' 

'Get their attention, and fight!' Xamphe drew his netherite sword and held it high. A few other hermits joined in, including Scar.

'I can provide Permadeath potions. I've been working on them since Cub died. A little... treat for NPG.' 

'Good.' 

'This world has basically become Permadeath anyway...' Grian noted. 

'Like I said ages ago, it's complicated.' Xisuma sighed. 'But whenever the watchers, or NPG Grian kills you, it's permadeath. We can't let them have that advantage.' 

Xamphe agreed, as did the others. 

'Can I keep some of this permadeath potion after the battle? I need something to persuade the return of a particular llama that may or may not be called Matilda.'

'No.'

'Fine...' 

'We will need time to prepare.'  Xisuma declared. 'If we go now, we will be really underpowered and more likely to die. We need to get everything ready, and then strike.' 

'When will we meet?' False asked. 

'In a couple days time. That should be enough time to get full enchanted gear and weapons.' 

There were nods, before the group split off and went their separate ways. Xamphe flew over to Grian before he could get too far. 

'Hey, G. Can you bring your watcher mask when we gather to fight? It links to my plan of how to get the watcher's attention.' 

'Sure...' 

'See you in two days.' 

'See you, Xamphe.' 

The friends split up, off to prepare for the battle ahead. 

Two days passed, and the Hermits gathered again, this time in the shopping district. Everyone was in full netherite armour, enchanted with as many enchantments as physically possible, except Grian and Xamphe, who had elytra on instead. It would be good to get someone in the sky during the battle.  

Scar had brought tons of potions, and everyone took plenty. Sword, tridents and infinity bows were ready, every weapon enchanted with a permadeath enchantment. Golden and notch apples ready, totems of undying to hopefully stop permadeath (no one had wanted to test).

'Right! We are gathered here to fight! To fight for Hermitcraft!' Xamphe yelled.

'For Hermitcraft!' Echoed the hermits. 

'For freedom!' 

'For freedom!'

'And for vengeance!'

'For vengeance!'

'Justice and vengeance!' Beef yelled excitedly. 'Let's do this for Carlos!'

'And Matilda!' Keralis joined in.

'And for the Goatfather and goatmother!' Ren added. 

Silence. 

'We all need to get into position. I don't know how fast the Watchers will attack when I call for battle.' Xamphe continued sensibly. 

'Hey! Can we join in?' Came an enthusiastic Russian voice. The hermits looked around for the source of the noise. False jumped when she saw two watchers approaching. 

'Attack!' She yelled, firing an arrow. 

'We come in peace, wanting to help with your war!' The non-Russian watcher yelped. 'I'm Pixlriffs, and this is ZloyXP. We watch you and make scripts about it.'

'It's called (cue music) Hermitcraft recap!' Zloy added. 

'Right...' Xisuma wasn't convinced.

'Anyway, can we help you fight the watchers?'

'You are watchers...' Scar pointed out. 

'Technically we are, but we don't work with the others.' 

'If they were watchers, they probably would've killed us already...' xB pointed out. 

'True. I guess you can help.'

'You can spy on the watchers.' Ren suggested. 

'Yeah! This will be fun!' Zloy replied excitedly. 

'Where should we go?' Pixl asked, less excited.

'Dig a hole under the shopping district and hide in it.' Grian responded grouchily. 'Just stay out the way.' 

'Right! We can use the chat for our advantage! The watchers don't have access to chat.' Xamphe brought the conversation back to the theme of strategy. 'And we need to spread out and hide. Surprise will be a key tactic.' 

'Use your shields!' They will be the most important thing in your inventory except your weapon. Use potions as well, both to heal you and kill the enemy.' Xisuma added. 

'If you have a watcher cornered, and they can't fight back, try to remove their mask. That's what's linking them to the others, and making them evil.' Xamphe butted back in over his brother. 'And no friendly fire! Your swords will kill you as well as it will kill the enemy.' 

'Who would intentionally try to kill another Hermit?' Scar interrupted. Keralis looked awkward. 'These weapons are for watchers and evil murderous robots only.' 

'Now, split up! Zloy, Pixl, get as far away from here as you can and hide somewhere. False, Ren, X, you'll be fighting right in the middle of the action. You're the best at PVP here. Everyone else, get a decent distance away. Grian, stay here with me.' Xamphe commanded. 

'Why?' Grian asked.

'Did you bring your watcher mask like I asked?' 

'Yes...' 

'Take it out and when I say, break it. Destroy it as much as you can. Let out your anger into the mask.' 

Grian took out the mask gently, as though it would blow up, and dropped it on the ground. He raised his sword above. Xamphe nodded, taking out his own and doing the same.

'Three... two... one... GO!'

Thinking about everything that had happened - every argument, every accusation, the last argument with Doc, Iskall's death... - Grian plunged the blade of his netherite sword straight into his watcher mask. It broke spectacularly, pieces flying everywhere. Xamphe did the same, achieving the same satisfying result. 

''ᓵ𝙹ᒲᒷ ᔑリ↸ ⊣ᒷℸ ̣ ⚍ᓭ ∴ᔑℸ ̣ ᓵ⍑ᒷ∷ᓭ! ᓭᒷᒷ ∴⍑ᔑℸ ̣ ⍑ᔑ!¡!¡ᒷリᓭ ∴⍑ᒷリ ||𝙹⚍ ᔑℸ ̣ ℸ ̣ ᔑᓵꖌ ⍑ᒷ∷ᒲ╎ℸ ̣ ᓵ∷ᔑ⎓ℸ ̣ ! ᓭᒷᒷ ∴⍑ᔑℸ ̣ ⍑ᔑ!¡!¡ᒷリᓭ ∴⍑ᒷリ ||𝙹⚍ ℸ ̣ ∷|| ᔑリ↸ ᓭᒷ!¡ᔑ∷ᔑℸ ̣ ᒷ ℸ ̣ ⍑╎ᓭ ⊣∷𝙹⚍!¡ 𝙹⎓ ᔑᒲᔑ⨅╎リ⊣ !¡ᒷ𝙹!¡ꖎᒷ! ʖᒷᓵᔑ⚍ᓭᒷ ᓵ𝙹ᒲ!¡ᔑ∷ᒷ↸ ℸ ̣ 𝙹 ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷᒲ, ||𝙹⚍ ᔑ∷ᒷ リ𝙹ℸ ̣ ⍑╎リ⊣ ᒲ𝙹∷ᒷ ℸ ̣ ⍑ᔑリ ᒲ𝙹∷ℸ ̣ ᔑꖎᓭ! ᓭ𝙹 ᓵ𝙹ᒲᒷ 𝙹リ! ⎓╎⊣⍑ℸ ̣ ⚍ᓭ! ℸ ̣ ∷|| ᔑリ↸ ꖌ╎ꖎꖎ ⚍ᓭ! ʖᒷᓵᔑ⚍ᓭᒷ ∴ᒷ. ∴𝙹リ'ℸ ̣. ꖎᒷℸ ̣. ℸ ̣ ⍑╎ᓭ. ⊣𝙹!' Xamphe yelled to the air, his voice full of hatred and fire. 

Silence. 

A minute passed. 

And then the Watchers came.