Ch 18

The watcher strode down the corridor. The other masked beings moved out the way for him, whether out of respect or fear. He reached a door, and opened it, entering a pitch black room. Two other watchers were inside, and looked his way as he arrived.

'∷╎⊣⍑ℸ ̣. ℸ ̣ ⍑╎ᓭ ⍑ᔑᓭ ⊣𝙹ℸ ̣ ᔑ ꖎ𝙹ℸ ̣ ᒲ𝙹∷ᒷ ╎リℸ ̣ ᒷ∷ᒷᓭℸ ̣ ╎リ⊣ リ𝙹∴. ∴||⍊ᒷ∷リ, ∴ᔑℸ ̣ ᓵ⍑ ̇/ᒷꖎᑑ⚍ᔑ ᓵᔑ∷ᒷ⎓⚍ꖎꖎ||. ╎⎓ ∴ᒷ'∷ᒷ ⊣𝙹╎リ⊣ ℸ ̣ 𝙹 ᒲᔑꖌᒷ ⍑╎ᒲ ⋮𝙹╎リ ⚍ᓭ, ∴ᒷ リᒷᒷ↸ ℸ ̣ 𝙹 ᔑℸ ̣ ℸ ̣ ᔑᓵꖌ ∴⍑ᔑℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷ ꖎ𝙹⍊ᒷᓭ ᒲ𝙹ᓭℸ ̣. ᓭℸ ̣ 𝙹∷ᒲ, ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷ リᒷ ̇/ℸ ̣ ℸ ̣ ╎ᒲᒷ ᓭ𝙹ᒲᒷ𝙹リᒷ ╎ᓭ 𝙹リ ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷ ∴ᔑℸ ̣ ᒷ∷, ᒲᔑꖌᒷ ᓭ⚍∷ᒷ ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷ|| ↸𝙹リ'ℸ ̣ ∷ᒷᔑᓵ⍑ ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷ ᓭ⍑𝙹∷ᒷ.' he commanded. The watchers nodded, understanding.

''∴⍑ᔑℸ ̣ ᔑʖ𝙹⚍ℸ ̣ ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷ 𝙹リᒷ ∴⍑𝙹 ʖᒷℸ ̣ ∷ᔑ||ᒷ↸ ⚍ᓭ?' One asked. She had long hair, and instead of the other watcher's bird wings, dragon wings.

'⍑ᒷ'ᓭ ↸╎ᒷ ℸ ̣ 𝙹𝙹. ʖ⚍ℸ ̣ ∴ᒷ ᓭ⍑𝙹⚍ꖎ↸ ᒲᔑꖌᒷ ╎ℸ ̣ ᒲ𝙹∷ᒷ !¡⚍ʖꖎ╎ᓵ ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷリ ᔑ !¡ᒷℸ ̣ ℸ ̣ || ᒲ⚍∷↸ᒷ∷.'

More nods, and the door closed, leaving the watchers in total darkness. But they weren't in need of light. All they needed was revenge.

A couple days passed after the Watchers came. Paranoia had spread over a Hermitcraft, and no one travelled alone. Including Jevin and Wels, who were enjoying a boat ride over the ocean.

'This is nice!' Wels smiled, admiring the fish in the water below. Jevin nodded, and kept rowing.

'There's a reason I always travel this way. Actually, there are multiple reasons, many including the fact I am literally made of slime, but yes, it is by far the most enjoyable mode of transport.

'Certainly!'

A small rumble of thunder rose in the background, and Wels looked behind, slightly nervous.

'I didn't expect there to be a storm...'

'It's ok. The water never has waves, even when it's really stormy.' Jevin responded nonchalantly.

'If you're sure... I don't want to die here!'

'We won't. I'm competent enough on the water to get us to shore...'

The boat rocked slightly in the sea, and Wels gulped.

'Are you sure there aren't waves?' The knight asked worriedly. 'Because these seem to be waves.'

'Don't worry...' Jevin replied, starting to panic. 'It'll be fine...'

A larger wave struck the boat, making it rock even more.

'Ok! Let's start worrying now.' The blue slime corrected. 'This seems to be getting bad.'

Rain started falling, and lightning flashed violently. Jevin rowed faster, and Wels took a spare pair of oars to help.

'Huge waves behind us... I hope we're near land!' The knight yelled above the splashing and booming.

'Me too...'

The first of the huge waves struck the wooden vessel, coming right over the top and filling the boat with water. Jevin spluttered, dropping the oars with the shock of cold.

'Right. I'm scared now.' He whimpered.

'Let's just fly away from here.'

'Do you like the look of that lightning?' Jevin retorted. 'We're just about safer here.'

'I'll send a distress message in chat. Hopefully someone can come and rescue us.'

'That'd be good.'

'I see some land ahead! We can row towards-'

The second wave hit the boat, almost upturning it. Jevin yelped as he was plunged into the ocean, paddling frantically. 

'Jevin! Hold on!' Wels cried, running across the boat to help. He reached for the flailing slime, grabbing his hand. 'Try and swim!'

'I can't swim!'

'What?! Since when couldn't you swim?!'

'I'M A SLIME! SLIME AND WATER DOESN'T MIX WELL!' Jevin yelled. 

'Then why do you travel by boat?!'

Wels's grip began to slip, so he took his other hand off the boat, grabbing for his friend with it too. He tried to pull Jevin onto the waterlogged vessel, but before he could, a third wave struck the boat and he flew out, into the cold water.

It was like ice, pulling and pushing, completely in control. The knight's armour dragged him down, both netherite and steel a deadweight against the tide. 

His hand still held Jevin's and sense forced him to swim. He took the scruff of the slime's hoodie and paddled strongly through the storm. But not strong enough. 

Wels gasped for air as he reached the surface. Thunder growled and lightning lit warring grey skies in cracks of burning white. Not wanting to abandon Jevin, he pulled off his netherite helmet with one hand, then his always-present knight helm. His legs kicked off both pairs of boots, and struggled out of the netherite leggings. Then, he started swimming again, faster without the weight of netherite. 

A foaming wave struck the drenched knight, submerging him again. Everything was beginning to turn black. Was this what death felt like?

Wels shook his head to clear the thoughts and kept going. He was closer to the land, and the waves pushed him the right way now. 

'Don't worry, Jevin! We're almost there!' He called. Silence. 'Jevin?'

Wels looked back for a moment, and froze. 

All that was following him was a fading trail of blue slime and an ownerless white hoodie.