1. Make A Life

"Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life." - Dolly Parton

• • •

Night and day had come to pass as it always had. Five days went by. Noah had found himself always watching the moon, the stars, the clouds. How the trees swayed in the wind. After Bobby, Brian, and Ellen assuring the trio that they would give them a call as soon as they caught wind of any omens, they'd left.

They had essentially done nothing but drive for two days before they started settling back into motels. Noah had cried himself to sleep on multiple occassions at this point, but it wasn't out of fear. He wasn't scared. But he hated what he was gonna do this to these boys, to Delta, to Brian. The pain he would put them through, just by being gone.

So staring up at the stars, counting every constellation he could see, he thanked God that there was hardly any light pollution this far out in the middle of nowhere. They had found this small town, no less than fifty miles away from any other civilization. It let Noah stare at all the things he was quckly coming to appreciate most.

Delta ran up to her owner, a stick in her mouth. She nudged his shoulder with her nose, before dropping the stick in his lap. He looked up to her with a faint smile, as she sat down and panted at her, her tongue out through her bright smile. It was getting warm again up north, as May settled in.

Noah picked up the stick before standing up from the ground. He brushed off the back of his jeans before looking to Delta. He hurled the stick as far as he could manage without it going into the woods and the eager German Sheppard was fast to chase after it.

• • •

Sam peered down at the book in his hand, reading everything he could manage. Ever since he had found out about the deal, he had read everything he could get his hands on about how they work, trying to find a way out of it.

Dean's quiet snores echoed around the small motel room, a noise Sam had long-since learned to ignore as he continued reading.

His phone suddenly rang, breaking the near-silence in the room. Dean stirred a bit at the noise, but ultimately settled back into the mattress as Sam answered the phone, "Hello?"

"Hey Sam," Bobby's voice came back. Sam could hear the thrum of tires against asphalt, wind whipping by in the background, telling him that Bobby was driving. "Hey Bobby," Sam replied.

"What you doing?" Bobby inquired. "Oh, same old, same old," Sam answered. "You buried in that book again?" Bobby queried, "Sam, you wanna break Noah free of that demon deal, you ain't gonna find the answer in no book."

"Then where, Bobby?" Sam sighed out, feeling as defeated as he sounded. "Kid, I wish I knew," Bobby responded, "So where's your brother?"

Sam glanced to the other bed in the room, "Asleep."

"What about Noah?" Bobby continued. "Outside," Sam glanced out the window, "I think he's playing with Delta."

"Well, you boys better pack it up, I think I finally found something," Bobby stated.

• • •

Noah tapped his hands on his thighs with a timed whistle, and Delta jumped up on him. He grunted out a laugh as he supported her weight. He had been expecting her to run up with the stick, not tackle him.

"Noah!" he heard behind him. He turned around, letting Delta fall back to her regular position as he came face to face with Sam, who jogged towards him, "Bobby found some omens, come on, we gotta get our stuff and wake Dean."