2. The Wind and The Sails

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails." - Dolly Parton

• • •

Ac/Dc rings loud through backroads as a black impala speeds down them. Dean sits at the wheel of his beloved car, his little brother beside him in the passenger seat. They speed past farm pastures, filled with cattle, horses, and sheep. With the windows rolled down, the wind whips throughout the vehicle creating a fluent breeze.

"Whoo! Listen to her purr," Dean exclaims, the smile on his face brighter than it had been in months," You ever heard anything so sweet?"

Sam smiles in amusement as he looks at his brother, though he silently wondered why his mood had changed so quickly from the week prior now that he had gotten the impala fixed and back in working order. His smile faltered slightly as his thoughts zipped back to the strange vision for just a moment, but he shook it off.

"You know, if you two wanna get a room, just let me know, Dean," Sam teased.

"Oh, don't listen to him Baby, he doesn't understand us," Dean spoke to the car as his hands graced the wheel. Sam's smile opened up a bit more as a tiny chuckle escaped his lips, "You're in a good mood."

"Why shouldn't I be?" Dean questioned. "No reason," Sam replied, shrugging it off.

"I got my car, got a case, things are looking up," Dean spoke optimistically as his eyes grazed the land around him, passing in and out of clusters of trees. Sam laughed in disbelief, he hadn't seen his brother this cheery since they were teenagers, escaping hunts every few months and taking the Impala once it became Dean's to go to fairs a few towns over. Even then, it was rare to see him this high of joy.

"Wow, give you a couple of severed heads and a pile of dead cows and you're Mr. Sunshine," Sam joked. Dean laughed, "How far to Red Lodge?"

"Uh, about another three hundred miles," Sam replied after checking the map. "Good," Dean said as his grin widened, he leaned over and cranked the radio volume up, as 'Back In Black' blasted from the car speakers. He revved the engine, speeding up as he listened to the impala's purr, Sam smiling as he watched, glad to see his brother recovering after their Dad's death.

• • •

Noah tapped on his steering wheel along to the beat of Asia's 'Heat Of The Moment' as he gazed at the Montana scenery. The drive to Red Lodge was a lot of backroads, being in the middle of nowhere, and he loved it. He could blare his music loud enough to bust his speakers and no one would give a damn.

Delta sat next to him in the passenger seat, her tongue out as she panted and her tail wagged. She had gotten a new collar and a bath before he left Wisconsin, given how long it had been since either. Flea treatment was his saviour.

He reached over and ruffled her fur as he came to a stop sign before glancing at his map where the route was drawn out for him to follow. He smiled as he admired trees and named what each was, an oak, poison oak, weeping willow, pine, sweetgum, even a few apple trees here and there.

His thoughts started to drift as he thought about the case, it was a strange one but it had demon written all over it. Cattle mutilation, which are classic demonic omens, and decapitated bodies. Demon made the most sense, but something in his gut made him wonder if it was something different.

He shook the thoughts from his head as 'Road To Nowhere' came on the radio and he decided to focus on his music.

• • •

"The investigation in ongoing-" The sheriff of Red Lodge, Montana was cut off from his sentence as his door was opened and a man in a suit with dark brown hair which was swept back and a cleanly shaven face stepped in.