9. Hello World

"Hello World, How've ya' been? Good to see you, my old friend. Sometimes I feel as cold as steel, and broken like I'm never gonna heal. I see a light, a little grace a little faith unfurled. Hello World. " - Lady Antebellum

• • •

Staring at the man that lay in a puddle of his own blood, Noah's body started to go numb and cold, like he'd been laying in the snow for too long. He didn't know his story, and he didn't know him all that well, but he knew that whatever story he had, it was a sad one. He did not deserve to be where he was, not when Noah was right there. When Noah could've and should've helped him, protected him in some way.

He felt sick to his stomach as this thick feeling of guilt and dread filled his body and suddenly it was hard to breathe and his vision was going in and out as he fought to come back to the proper state of mind. He took a deep breath, he had to stay sane, not just for his own sake but for Sam and Dean, for the other people in the vault.

It is his job to keep them safe, and in order to do that, he had to stay calm. He can break down later. But not right now. And so, on the verge of tears, he pushed it back as he looked away, seeing the expressions of pure devastation on both Sam and Dean's faces.

Sam handed Dean something, "Here, you take care of the guard, I'm going after the shifter."

Noah slinked along the wall, staying out of line of the sniper, "I'm going with you," He told Sam quietly before they both walked around, to stay out of the sights of anybody looking to kill them.

They both brandished flashlights, and pulled their knives as Noah looked for his dog, hoping she had managed ot take the shifter down. They rounded a corner, and Noah's blood ran cold. Oh God, please...

He ran over, staying along the walls and away from all the windows, sliding across the tiles to reach the limp dog. He touched her, she was breathing. She opened her eyes, staring at him with sad eyes as a whimper escaped her, breath heavy. It had gotten the jump on her. And it reminded him all too well of how he found her when he saved her from the rugaru.

"I know girl, I know, shh, I've got you, can you tell me which way it went?" he soothed. She lifted her nose slightly, pointing towards a door weakly. Noah looked back to Sam who immediately walked towards it, ready to check.

He opened it, immediately whipping left and right, it was nowhere to be seen. He looked, it was a staircase. Descending the steps, he groaned quietly, which echoed up to Noah. Noah sighed, "Let me guess, heap of skin, ripped clothes, and other miscealaneous goop?"

Sam nodded, calling up to him, "Yeah."

Noah looked up, petting Delta but jumped as he saw three people from the vault stadning there, "You guys can't be here right now! Get back to the vault, you're in danger, now!" They jumped, nodding and walking back to the vault.

Noah stood, picking Delta up as she whined, "I know girl, It's all gonna be okay." He walked down to where Sam was, as Sam pulled his phone out, putting it on speaker.

"Yeah?" Dean asnwered, clearly anxious at this point. Noah could understand that, escorting a hostage outside with swat ready to shoot you was a surefire way to rack your nerves.

"Slipped it's skin," Sam stated solemnly. "What? Didn't Delta get it?" Dean questioned. Noah sighed, "No, she must've caught up to it, but it hurt her, and managed it's way down a stairwell."

"Bastard shifts fast, a lot faster than the one in St. Louis," Sam stated as he poked at the goop with his letter opener, making Noah raise an eyebrow at him.

"Oh God, It's like playing the shell game," Dean sighed, "It could be anyone, again!"

"I think most of the employees are in the vault by now," Sam replied. "Alright, you search every inch of this place, I'm gonna go round everybody up," Dean responded, Noah nodded. They could hopefully manage that.