Part 4

A month had passed now and I was still in the same bed at the same hospital... Every day I could have a little stroll around the hospital and they even had a little park where I could sit out and read one of the hospital's books in the sun. It was spring so the wind was still a little cold but it felt good anyways to go out and take a breath of fresh air. That hospital really didn't smell good and I easily got sick of staying in bed. 

I also enjoyed watching the birds sing in the trees. They looked so happy and free. I mean they could just fly away whenever they wanted, wherever they wanted. I, on the other hand, felt like I was constantly stuck in a cage.

The doctor had told me that my arm was healing well and would therefore be able to get out of the hospital a little sooner than planned. I made it look like I was really happy and excited to go home but underneath the mask, I was crying for help dreading the day more than anything else…

My bruises were finally disappearing and I was feeling healthy. I was actually happy to be in a hospital. They fed me well and my dad wasn’t around to beat me up. I could go outside, and lay in the early spring sun feeling that cool breeze on my face freshen me up.  Only one more week left of this heaven and then back to hell I go…

The days went by relatively fast until finally it was time for me to leave. My dad came to pick me up and had to sign a few forms before leaving. The nurse had called a social worker to check on us every month to see how things were going with my new school, if my dad found a job and just simply make sure everything was going good.  I was relieved when I heard that. I knew now things would be different than they used to. My dad on the other hand was furious. He dragged me out of the hospital and practically shoved me in our small car. When he had started driving, he started telling me he would get me back for all the trouble I put him in. I was quite frankly terrified.

We pulled in the drive-way and entered our little house. My dad locked the door and pulled me upstairs up to my room. He locked the door to my room too and pushed me to the floor. I stared up at him scared to death. What was he going to do to me?!

“That little story you made up at the hospital really inspired me. The fact that there will be a social worker here every month means I can't beat your little fragile skin anymore because it'll show, won't it? But you gave me a new idea – A better one.” At that he crouched down on top of me and put his hand over my mouth as he started doing the same thing that made-up group of guys did in my story. I was screaming for help but no-one could hear me. What was the point, I was alone in this world. My eyes were closed and tears started falling down my cheeks. It felt like the whole world was against me. If I didn't live, would the world be better off? … Why else would my dad constantly abuse me? Did I do something wrong? I must have done something, or else god would help me. God would have given me a loving dad. God wouldn't have let my mum die. God would have surrounded me with love. But instead I'm surrounded with hate. It was suddenly quite obvious to me that I was a mistake in this world. My existence here was no longer needed…. It never had been needed….

When my dad was finally finished with me he kicked me and told me to look him in the eyes.

“The social worker is coming in two weeks so I suggest you make it look like everything is perfect. If one of our little secrets end-up slipping out of your big mouth I will make your life a living hell hole. You hear me?! My dad said. “Also, school starts tomorrow. No speaking to anyone about this at school either. Trust me, I will know it if you do.”

He then left me lying alone on the floor in pain. I started getting up but felt completely numb. I did though manage to get over to my bed and decided just to sleep in my old jeans and shirt.

~*~

Thud…

Thud…

Thud…

I heard footsteps coming up, slowly, to my room. The lights were off in the room but there was some moonlight creeping through the crack in my curtains. I felt the floor shudder at every step this person made. Who was it? What did he want? I was asking myself these questions although deep down inside I knew very well who it was and what he wanted. My body was reacting. I started sweating and my heart was beating like it had a million times before: Fast like a bullet, and it hurt. It really hurt. I pulled my cover up tighter around me. It was the only thing here to protect me. The problem was I knew it wouldn’t protect me very long.

BAM!!! The door had flown open and hit the wall hard, revealing a big black figure with its shadow flooding over to the other side of the room, covering my bed.

I stared at the figure with big eyes.

“Maya, time has finally come for you to leave this world. FOREVER! No –one wants you here, no-one cares about you. Your existence in this world has caused enough trouble as it is, so I'm going to do us all a favor and kill you… Tonight…” The black figure whispered that last, terrifying word and started coming towards me with a big kitchen knife in his hand.

At one point, he stepped into the moonlight which was creeping through my curtains. He had a big nasty grin on his face, obviously looking forward to this moment that would soon come up.

He took one step closer as he lifted the blade up high and then lowered it… fast.