Part 7

The lunch with Cam and Jason was pretty terrible. The two of them were abviously enemies and wouldn't stop insultiing each other, especially Cam. Jason, on the other hand, was trying his best to make me want to go out to lunch with him again. So he would smile at me, try to tell me jokes and ask if I wanted anything to eat. I kept refusing because I simply wasn't hungry but he wouldn't give up.

We ended up sitting at the table siently, not even looking at each other. At one point though, Cam got up to go to the restrooms. That's when jason took his last chance.

« Maya, I really like you. I'm sorry if this wasn't very fun for you today but next time I promise I'll make it up to you. Just without Cam, unfortunately the two of us don't get get along... »  He finished his sentance by looking down at his plate as if he really was sad that Cam didn't like him, but I was pretty sure it was fake.

« No worries. I'll, uh, think about next time. »

once Cam got back, I got up out of my chair, said a quick goodbye to jason, and the left with Cam asking me a bunch of questions. I decided to ignore them and just asked what our next lesson was. This clearly annoyed Cam but she answered anyway.

« You have French and I have sport. But come on Maya, just answer me this : Are you going to go on another date with Jason ? »

« That wasn't a date ! » I said quickly. « And no, I don't think I will go out to LUNCH with Jason again. »

« I was hoping you'd say that, but why not ? »

« That makes more than one question by the way, and besides, we're standing in front of my classroom talking even though we're already late for class so I suggest you forget about the question and run over to the gym unless you want to get yelled at by the teacher again. » At that, I turned my back on her and walked in to claas.

« Don't think I'll forget about that question though, » I heard her shout after me.

Luckily when I walked in to class, the teacher wasn't there yet. Everyone was in groups, talking to one another and laughing, except for a few people catching up on homework, or listening to music in their own little worlds.

But there was one person who caught my attention pretty quickly. He was sitting at a table towards the back watching me enter the class. I felt my cheeks heat up when I looked at him and quickly glanced away sitting down at the first free table I found that wasn't close to him. I dared a quick glance back to see if he was still staring but instead he seemed to be writing something on the desk.

Feeling strangely disapointed, I turned back around and focused on the teacher walking in.

« Bonjour chères élèves, aujourd'hui nous allons travaillez sur les verbes, mais premièrement j'aimerai voir vos devoirs qui vous ont été assignés pour aujourd'hui, »  Said the teacher in a language that was, for me, completely unfamiliar.  

The other students groaned as they took out, each, a sheet of paper, obviously understanding everything the teacher had said. I looked around cluelessy until a girl seemed to finally notice my clueless expression.

« Um, would you like me to tranlate ? » She whispered, her deep blue eyes watching me curiously, at first in the eyes but then down to my feet. I quickly repositioned them feeling extremely self-conscious.

« Yeah, if that's ok. » I whispered back, unsure.

« She said that we would be working on verbs this lesson, but first we have to show her our homework from last week. I'm Cacey by the way. » She said still whispering but smiling slightly.

« Thank you, I'm Maya. » I answered shyly.

The teacher went around the class room making sure everyone had done their homework and then proceeded to the corrections.

At one point I felt a little tap on my shoulder and turned around to find a guy holding out a little folded piece of paper in his hand watching me with a verybored expression. I took it un-surely and turned back around.

As I read my little name written on the back, my heart started to beat and I started to feel the heat from my blood rush up to my face. Who was writing to me ?

I impatiently opened the paper and silently read what was written :

Meet me behind the school after class.

My brows furrowed at the little note. Who on earth wrote this ? I thought to myself. I turned around searching for a sign but everyone had their heads down, correcting their homework from last week. Irritated, I turned back towards the front.

After the corrections, the teacher collected everyone's exercises and started to work on verbs with us.

When the bell finally rang I packed my stuff walked out second to last. Cam was waiting by the door with 3 other girls, talking and laughing until she noticed me exiting class. 

« Hey Maya ! Here are my friends I was talking to you about!

« This is Francessca », she said motioning to a blonde haired girl on the far right.

« And this is Georgie and her twin Tiffany, » she said motioning to two more blondes with brown eyes who looked a lot alike.

They all smiled and said hi one after the other. I smiled back and presented myself quickly.

« Cam, I have to go grab something quickly and then I should be getting home, » I lied. « But I'll see you all tomorrow ok ? »

« Oh, ok sure. We can all eat together tomorrow then, that way you can get to know eachother. » She said suddenly sunding excited.

« Ok, cool. Bye then ! »

« Bye ! » they all answered.

I quickly walked towards the back of the school but stopped at the doors to check who was out there waiting. I honestly wasn't feeling very comfortable with this anonymous meet up. Looking through the little window of the back door, all I saw was an empty court yard.

I paused a minute, but decided to go through the doors anyway. Just around the corner was a tall guy standing with his back to me. I recognized him straight away and felt a little more comfortable, but still curious.

As I was walking toward him, he must have heard my footsteps because he turned around and smiled softly.

« Hey, Maya. »