chapter thirty-one

September 20

Spencer's POV:

"Based on the knowledge that spending a significant time in prison stunts emotional growth while increasing professional skills, we can estimate that our unsub went to jail between the ages of 18 and 22 and spent between 5 and 10 years inside." Hotch explained to the local PD.

"That puts him at the approximate age between 23 and 35." Abby added.

"This guy's much more than a bank robber though. What started out as a practical MO, stripping his hostages, triggered a deep psycho sexual response." Morgan continued.

"In other words, when he found himself in front of a bunch of naked people under his control, he snapped. Then he decided to manipulate them." JJ clarified.

"That urge is getting worse. He's attacking banks earlier in the day when more and more people are present." Coryne rambled on. She immediately turned red for some reason after she talked.

"This sounds like he's sacrificing the safety of having just a few hostages to contain for the satisfaction of having more subjects to control." Emily acknowledged.

"He'll be less interested in money and more interested in sadistically manipulating his captives." I chimed in.

"In all likelihood, he'll be high on drugs. It'd be wrong however to write this guy off as crazy. Bank robbing is an ambitious crime and it takes the time and planning to pull it off." Rossi carried on.

"What makes this unsub unique is his fractured psyche. On one hand he's a cold, organized bank robber. On the other, a disorganized sexual sadist full of bottled up rage." Abby explained as we were interrupted.

"Sir, bank robbery in process at the corner on Smith and Ashlyn. 911 call from a kid in the back on his cell. Said the suspect is making people undress." The sherif stormed into the room, as we all quickly vested up before heading out.

The traffic on our way there, was absolutely horrible. I mean, it's Los Angeles, what could you expect.

When we arrived, a woman was passed out, on the sidewalk unconscious. The unsub had fled the scene on a motorcycle. Morgan and I notified JJ and Abby who were closest.

———
Abby's POV:

"He took off on a motorcycle heading your way." Hotch frantically explained on the phone.

"I've got eyes on him." JJ immediately pulled a u-turn, nearly crashing in to him.

"Where the hell is he going?" I asked, seeing the unsub take two left turns.

"The canal." JJ looked at me, absolutely terrified. Before he could get there, we managed to have spikes put down in his way, which he somehow didn't see. By the time he got to the canal, he knew it was his witts end.

"FBI Stop!" JJ yelled, guns pointed at him.

"Why should I bitch?" He snapped pulling the gun to his head.

"Doing this won't fix you. You don't want to. Just put the gun down." My voice trembled.

Out of nowhere, the unsub fell to the ground, but not a single round was fired by the three of us. All of a sudden, I see Spence standing behind him, absolutely petrified that he just shot him.

"Spence!" I ran over, pulling him into a hug.  "Hey, hey it's okay you got him." I ran my fingers through his hair as he cried on my shoulder. Usually he's so confident in his shots but not today.

"Are you ready to go back to the precinct?" I asked, pulling his head up. He nodded before walking back with me to the car.

Back at the precinct, we filled out a few reports and talked with the sheriff.