chapter eighteen

Spencer's POV: 

Waking up, it was still pitch black outside. I reached at my phone, trying my best not to wake Abby, but my slight movement startled her. Glancing at my phone, it read 4:36 am. We left to fly back to Quantico at 9am, leaving me with roughly five hours to get ready, more than enough time. I made my way out of bed, over to the bathroom where I brushed my teeth and washed my face. By the time I threw on a shirt and my shoes, it was almost 5. 

"Where are you going?" Abby asked, half awake. 

"I was heading down to the gym, do you want me to grab you anything?" I picked up my wallet and phone from the nightstand next to her. 

"A coffee would be nice. And some antacids, my heartburn is so bad." Abby answered, pulling the blanket over her shoulder. 

"Try standing or sitting up, that should help. It'll put less pressure on your lower esophageal sphincte, which helps stop stomach acid from rising into your esophagus." I muttered. 

"That's right, I forgot you're a doctor." she smiled. 

"You suck." I leaned down to kiss her forehead. 

"Ew! I don't suck anything, especially not you." Abby raised her eyebrows, before bursting out in giggles. 

"You are so gross Abby." I laughed, turning to walk out of the room, flicking the lights off. 

I headed down the stairs, making it to the gym by 5:15, after getting lost. Jumping on the treadmill, I ran 3 miles before almost passing out. I guess it wasn't that good of an idea to have a slight concussion and run with music blaring in my ears. 

Hopping off the treadmill, I turned to grab my wallet and phone as the door to the gym flung open. A tall blonde walked in, headphones over her ears, phone in hand. She didn't notice me at first, which was fine with me, until she turned to face me. 

"I'm sorry can I help you?" she asked, snapping me out of my daze. 

"Oh no, I-I was just uh leaving." I replied, trying to leave. 

"Wait! I didn't mean to scare you off, you just looked a bit flustered." I turned back to face her. Flustered? Me? 

"Uh- well I did just run three miles, so my heart rate is a bit fast currently." 

"Wow, that's impressive. I hate to ask, but can you help me get down a yoga mat? I'm not quite tall enough." she asked, pointing over to where the yoga mats hung. I followed her over to the other side of the gym, reaching up to grab a mat. 

"Here you go." I held out the mat for her to grab.

"Thank you." She replied. "You know you have some big muscles." The girl took her finger, tracing it on my arms, down to my hands. I felt a bit uncomfortable, especially considering the fact I didn't have that big of muscles compared to Derek. 

"Uh- thanks." I nervously laughed. "I better get going now." I made my way to the door. 

"Hold on! I never got your name." She reached for my hand. 

"It's Spencer." I pulled my hand away from hers. 

"I'm Annalise. I mean I hate to rush, but would you like to maybe go grab a drink sometime?" She asked, rocking back and forth on her toes.

"I- uh actually have a girlfriend." I began to blush at the thought of Abby. "I've got to go, it was nice helping you." I turned to finally leave. That was so awkward. 

------------

Abby's POV: 

"Here you go." Spencer handed me my coffee, attempting to go in for a kiss.