chapter twelve

Abby's POV

Waking up in the hospital, I wanted nothing more than to go home. Sleeping next to Spencer most of the day was the only reason I got some rest last night. Even though the bed wasn't comfortable, and machines were beeping 24/7, I still managed to thankfully get some sleep.

"Hey, hey you're okay." Spencer assured me, grabbing hold of my hand. The nightmares were back, and I don't think they were going anywhere soon. It was the same one every time. I was being held by an unsub, vision blurry, hands tied, and he walked me to the edge of the cliff. As the team approached, the unsub was shot by Morgan, but the drugs I was dosed with lead me to not think straight. I walk to the edge of the cliff and that's where my dream ends. I always wake up startled, in a cold sweat. It doesn't help that I have an apparent fear of heights.

"Are the nightmares back?" asked Spencer. Other than my therapist, Spencer was the only one that knew about them. Working for the BAU was a total dream job for me, but there were the downsides, like the never ending nightmares.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you?" I attempted to sit up, trying to catch my breath. My head throbbed as I did so, leaving me in so much pain.

"No you didn't. It's fine. Come here." Spencer pulled me into his arms, holding me tight, yet so gentle. I began to cry, as I was overwhelmed by my emotions. Between all the pain I was feeling, and the medicine I was, my emotions were a mess. 

"Did the doctor say when I can go home?" I dried my tears, looking up at Spencer for a reply. 

"Well considering it is eleven am, you get to go home by three at the soonest. He should be bringing your discharge papers by in a little bit." Spencer answered, looking out the window. 

As I slowly got out of bed with Spencer's help, I managed to get ready for the day, changing my clothes before the nurses came in to switch my bandages. 

"Okay, you're going to feel slight pressure on your arm as I apply this bandage." the nurse warned me. I tried my best to not focus on the pain, as I looked out the window at the cars. I could sit before the window, overlooking the city, for hours. 

"Thank you ma'am." I said as my nurse wrapped my last bandage. Just then Spencer walked into the room with the doctor following. 

"Here are your discharge papers Ms. Tag. Will you be able to sign them?" the doctor asked, looking down at my broken hand, handing me a pen. I leaned over the paper, signing them, a bit messy, but the best I could do considering I was still a bit loopy from my medicine and my arm was all stitched up. 

"Now, I am required to have either a spouse or guardian sign these papers also due to the medication you are on." the doctor informed me. 

"Uh- well sir, I don't have either of those." I looked over at Spencer, who had no clue what to do. 

"Do you have a best friend or partner?" he expanded. 

"Oh, in that case Spencer can sign." I replied, hoping Spencer be fine with it. 

"And what is the relation to you?" the doctor asked. 

"Uh- just put Boyfriend slash partner." I responded before Spencer could. The doctor jotted it down before handing the papers to Spencer, finally clearing us. I tried to help Spencer gather up my stuff, but he insisted on doing it all for me. Soon enough the nurse came in with a wheelchair, helping me to the car. Spence went down before us, pulling around the car before driving us back to my place. 

As we pulled into the driveway, I felt so happy to be home at last. Spencer walked around to the passenger's side, helping me out of the car and into the house. Greeted by the smell of pumpkin, chills ran down my spine, as it was freezing in the house.