chapter twenty-three

Spencer's POV:

"I'm so sick of this! All you ever do is think about yourself!" Abby yelled, marching up the stairs. I trailed behind her. 

"Where are you going?" Tears began to fill my eyes as she packed a bag. 

"Away from here. Who knows if I'll ever come back." she huffed, unplugging her charger from the wall, throwing it in the bag. Zipping up her bag, she flung it over her shoulder, slipping on her shoes. As she turned to walk out, our eyes met, both filled with tears. When she walked out that door, my heart shattered. 

I slid down the wall, my back to it, breaking down in tears. I didn't understand how we got to this point. How did I just let the love of my life walk out that door? I slammed my fist against the floor, making the desk next to me rattle. I was beyond enraged with myself. It was all my fault. 

-------

Abby's POV:

Turning the key in the ignition, I had no destination or idea of where I was possibly going. I just left my home, with no plan. Merging on to the freeway, I decided to drive over to Garcia's house, at least to let her know what's going on. 

Pulling into her driveway, I attempted to dry the tears that ran down my face. I pulled down the mirror, revealing the mascara that darkened my eyes, and the tear lines, clearly evident across my face. I found the courage to get out of the car, and walk over to her front door, my head hung low. 

I raised my fist, knocking slightly on the door. Footsteps scattered towards the door as I waited. 

"Hey- Oh sugar plum come here!" Garcia pulled me into a tight hug. I began to sob. "It's okay, here come on." She walked me over to her living room, sitting down beside me on the couch. 

"When you are ready we can talk about it." Garcia promised, reaching to hold my hand. 

"It's- It's all my fault." I sobbed, once again. 

"Come here." Garcia pulled me in for a hug. "What is your fault?" 

"Well, you know when those kids trashed our house, Spencer didn't want to press charges but I did." I choked up a bit. "I thought we were even on the same page after I talked with him." 

"Mhm," she nodded. 

"But when Hotch helped him file the police report, I assumed he was pressing charges, until I found out he didn't." I balled up my fists, purely out of rage and frustration. "He went behind my back and did what he wanted and didn't press charges. All he ever does is think about himself and run to JJ when things aren't going right with me." At this point I was standing in Garcia's living room, yelling. 

"It's okay." Garcia sat me back down on the couch, rubbing my back as I cried in her arms. We sat there together for a few hours, talking through what was going on. 

"Thank you Garcia." I stood up from the couch, reaching for my keys. 

"Oh no way are you going back to your house. You're staying here." she insisted. 

"Fine." Garcia dragged me into her guest bedroom, getting me set up for bed. It was about 9pm by then, so I walked into the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face. 

"Nigh sugar plum." Garcia popped her head into the bathroom as I wiped off what was left of my mascara. 

"Night PG, thank you." 

"You're welcome my love. Get some sleep." I smiled as she walked to her bedroom. Pulling out another set of clothes from my bag, I threw them on. As I crawled into bed under the covers, I picked up my phone. 

6 new messages 

4 missed calls from baby

baby: abby, please let me know where you are going. 

baby: i just want to know you're safe.

baby: please call me.

JJ: Spencer is a mess, call me

baby: abby, i'm leaving now, please call me

baby: abb, please stay safe. i love you. 

I threw my phone to the other side of the bed, laying back on the pillow. All I could think about was Spencer. I had no clue what to do next, or how we would even recover from this, if we ever did. As tears began to fill my eyes, I closed them, attempting to get some sleep. It felt so odd to be alone, without him. 

-----------

Spencer's POV:

The clock read 12:39 am. Tossing and turning in bed, I couldn't manage to fall asleep. Laying in bed, I stared at the ceiling. I felt alone, the bed was empty and cold. I really messed up this time. I was hopeful that maybe she would reply to my messages or even come home, but nope. 

I pulled myself out of bed, making my way downstairs. Grabbing a mug from the cabinet, I brewed myself a cup of coffee before sitting down to review over some cases. When I had nothing better to do, or in this case, was alone and had to distract myself from finding a bottle of dilaudid, I reviewed old cases. 

Opening the case file, the whole case ran through my head. 24 year old Sydney Willow was stabbed 47 times, then dumped on the front steps of the local aquarium, which she worked at. Two weeks later, 23 year old Noel Green was found, everything was identical. The entire case stumped us, no evidence of the unsub, no connection. So, we flew home after a month in Oroville, California. 

I looked over every single piece of paper inside of the case, leaving me more confused than ever. By the time I finally grew tired, the sun began to rise. I forced myself to at least get ready for the day, hoping to not sulk over Abby all day even though I wanted to. After showering, I crawled back in to bed, falling asleep as the day began. 

----

a/n: i know this chapter is a bit short, i'll try my best to get the next one up tomorrow!