Dreams

Now here you go again
You say you want your freedom
Well, who am I to keep you down?

—But why is it a big deal? I mean, we've done sexual things with other people before and we've been together all along!! -Calum chases me down the hall-

I had left the room mid-argument after his proposal of having an open relationship. There's no way in hell I'm up to that, and yes, we've experienced sex with other people but because we both agreed to that, and after doing whatever we were going to do, we would never meet up again. An open relationship has less... limits? An open relationship could even end up in catching feelings for another person and I'm not up to that.

—Calum, I already told you I don't want an open relationship. It's only okay when we both agree on threesomes and stuff like that, not seeing someone else. -I roll my eyes, utterly annoyed at his persistence-

—But it's not like we would see someone else in a romantic way. In the end, it's just... Sex.

I stop walking and turn around, facing him. He also stops and looks at me.

—If it's just sex, then why not keep it the way it is?

He thinks for a second, but no words come out of his mouth.

—Exactly. When people talk about open relationship it's more than sex, it includes dates and stuff – and I won't tolerate seeing you with other women. You know I'm not the jealous type, but this is different.

—There's no way I would fall for another woman when I have you -he grabs my waist- I mean it. I just figured it'd be exciting the sense of freedom or something like that.

It's only right that you should
play the way you feel it
but listen carefully
to the sound of your loneliness

—If you want freedom, I can give you all freedom you need -I deadpan look at him in the eyes-

—No, you're not getting it.

—No, you're not getting it. -I say-

—I really don't understand the deal with this, baby... I mean, I got you and I'm not falling for anyone else.

—Calum, I said no, I don't want an open relationship. If you really want the sense of freedom and stuff, I can pretty much give it to you. We can either break up or just accept that I don't want it.

I walk away to the backyard -my favorite place in the house- to find Duke, our dog, laying down near the pool. I call out his name and he instantly comes to me.

Like a heartbeat drives you mad
In the stillness of remembering what you had
And what you lost

You know, I really think you're being selfish...

He comes up again. I roll my eyes so bad, feeling really irritated, annoyed, overwhelmed – I look the other way and breath in, trying to contain the knot in my throat, and the tears threatening to come out.

Why can't he just take the no as an answer? Is there someone else that caught his eye and he doesn't want to tell me?

—Y/N...?