Drifting Away

Read this chapter as the song is playing on the background.

~

A house split in two,
two souls wandering
through the same space,
but without crossing
enemy lines.

Monotony did its thing, each day is the same as much as we try—but truth is, we stopped trying a while ago.

He comes downstairs before heading to the studio, barely looks at me whilst he gets his breakfast done. I try to avoid glancing at him, fully focusing on my coffee.

—I think I'm going to be home late tonight -he says pouring milk into a bowl-

—Ah -is all I say-

Things have changed and even our dog could notice. Last time we went out together, Sierra pointed it out to me « you guys seem off. Is everything okay? » and of course I played it cool. We have sex and it's one of the few moments where everything's right, then we both come and everything goes back to how it was... We have sex and share our bodies, but seems like we are lacking intimacy.

I finish my breakfast and do the dishes, then kneel down to pet Duke and say goodbye to him. Turn around to grab my car keys and my bag.

—See you -I say to Calum, he's scrolling through his phone as he eats his cereal, barely mumbling bye to me-

The day at the office was nice, luckily, everyone was full of energy. By the time I got out of work, my friends and I had planned to go to the closest Applebee's to have dinner... But it ended up in endless cocktails.

—Anything else? -the waitress kindly asks us, I'm feeling already tipsy-

—Yeah, yeah -I say, pointing at the menu- can I get one of this... And this? Take out, please.

—Sure -the blonde says and leaves again-

—Are you hungry already? -Jessica, my co-worker asks me, astonished-

I hiccup before answering, being more smiley than ever.

—Oh, no. It's not for me, that's for my boyfriend. -I giggle, Calum might go home late tonight, but he's always hungry-

By the time we decide to go, we all realise we're too tipsy to drive so we got Ubers.

« This was supposed to be dinner. Now I'm drunk and I gotta pick up my car tomorrow, stupid me »

I arrive home safe and sound, say goodbye to the driver, grab my bags and walk to my front door, opening the front gate. I difficulty walk through the garden, and open the front door, Duke greets my moving his tail, excited to see me, I try to kneel down but desist as I realise I'm drunk.

—I'm drunk, Duke -I whisper to him and he follows me to the kitchen-

I place the bags in the counter and a voice behind me makes me jump, frightened.

—Where were you?

I turn around to face my boyfriend, he seems even more cute today—I walk to him and touch the places where his dimples are, smiling at him.

—You're so cute -I giggle- what if you take me here in the kitchen?

He grabs my hands and removes them from his face. There's a blank expression on his face, he seems mad.

—What the actual fuck? Are you drunk? -he looks closer-

—I might be -I giggle, but I'm interrupted by a hiccup- Ohh, bet I am. Where's your bottle of rum? Let's open it up!