Chapter 45 - Tough Decisions

Jest thought that perhaps he was not meant to live happily. Perhaps he was not meant to live at all, for this would be yet his second death by beheading. 

And so he bowed his head, his dark eyes closed for impact and a bitter expression on his face. Mariah Hatter would win. 

But the blade never came.

Looking up he saw Cath, axe overhead but not moving. And then the axe being thrown to the ground in anger. 

"God I'm so WEAK!" She yelled, he breaths coming out heavily and he lovely features twisting with frustration. 

Suddenly the guards at his side disappeared in a cloud of mist. Jest stood slowly, the last strings of hope clawing at his heart. "You didn't kill me." He said slowly.

Cath whirled to face him, "Obviously." She said rolling her eyes. 

"Why?" He asked walking toward her. 

"Because I can't." She said throwing her hands up in frustration, "Because I know that no matter how many times my heart is taken, it will only grow back and I'll have to live through the pain of missing you again." She laughed bitterly, "I guess it doesn't matter because I'm going to have to relive the pain of growing another heart back. And then if I remove that one, it'll grow back. Again and again and again. I only ever lose by killing you." She said rubbing her chest. "Twice I've lost my heart." She said dejectedly. 

Jest took her hands in his, "Then take mine." He said. 

Cath looked up at him surprised, "What?"

"Take my heart and defeat Mariah. Only the Queen of Hearts can end this. Besides, it was only ever yours to begin with." He said gently cupping her face with his hands.

Cath's chest throbbed painfully as she looked into his eyes, "I've already taken so much from you and you still continue to sacrifice for me. I'm standing here with a hole in my chest and I just almost killed you and you want to give me your heart?"

Jest laughed lightly, "Yeah. If it means you won't be in pain anymore. And if it means ending a way." He said stroking her cheek with his thumb, "Like I said, my heart belongs to you no matter what. In a sense, it's your heart. Take it and I know you will be able to defeat Mariah. Only you can." He said.

Just then Mariah's voice sounded."I so hate to break off this sentimental reunion but I am getting bored." 

Suddenly ropes began to attach themselves to each of Jest's limbs. He began to move on his own accord as if he were a puppet and someone was pulling the strings. 

Cath's eyes widened as she saw Jest begin to run toward her. 

Jest screamed in rage as he tried to control his own body. He was horrified as Cath began to run from him in fear. He looked around for anything she could use to defend herself when he spotted a gleam at the corner of his eye. 

"Cath! The axe!" He shouted. 

Cath nodded and bolted to the axe at the same time Mariah forced Jest to. 

Cath quickly scooped it up and held it up to defend herself, her breaths ragged. 

Jest launched himself at her unwillingly and Cath faltered back. 

"I can't hurt you Jest!" She said backing away as he moved closer, her face full or terror.

"You have to Cath, it's the only way!" He said as he quickly moved to attack her.

Cath kept backing away and tripping on her own feet. She fell to the ground as she tripped on her own skirt. 

Jest went to grab her by the throat but Cath rolled away just in time. She got to her feet and began to think of a way to disarm him without hurting him. She looked at the strings attached to his limbs and back at the axe in her hand.