Chapter 19 - Good and Bad

The group sat dejectedly in the room where they both found their hope and lost it within minutes thanks to the mother of a fuming hat maker. 

Hatta paced the room in raging temper, spouting out curses and let out growls in anger. His own mother had screwed him, and he vowed he would have his revenge. If that woman would rather use the heart for something other than happiness between all kingdoms, then she truly was insane.

Penelope was almost just as mad, but she mostly felt sorrow for Jest. The poor boy was dealt a bad hand. She sighed and buried her head in her hands as she heard the door latch open. She figured it was the palace guards finally coming for them, but when she heard Cath's voice, relief flooded her senses. It wasn't over yet. 

Jest and Cath clung to each other's hands as they walked into the room to their downfallen comrades. They both knew they needed a plan, one that would have to work so well that it would go under the radar in both kingdoms. Cath knew she would have to stay here, but the thought of leaving Jest so soon made her heart sink.

  Alice watched everything with a calculating look at Cath. She looked different, almost vibrant. She narrowed her eyes, "You both look different." She said simply. Cath turned to look at Alice and sighed, shaking her head, "I'll explain later, but for now, we need to come up with a way to get you guys out of here."  

------------------------------------

Callum stalked the halls of the palace in a rage. He had heard the news of his own engagement from a pair of gossiping maids who cleaned his room. How dare his mother make such an agreement without his consent! He was perfectly happy ruling the kingdom by himself, he didn't need some 'blushing bride' to help him. 

Throwing the doors open to his mother's chambers, he made his way to where his mother stood peering out at the broken streets of her country. He glared at her, "Who do you think you are making a deal without my knowledge? I am the future King mother! Don't you think I have the right to at lease choose my queen?" He demanded. 

Chrystal said nothing for several seconds before sighing, "Dear child, all I've ever thought about was the welfare of my Kingdom, and my love for you. I believe I have made a match that will help both in the end." She turned to face him and he saw a tiredness there he had never seen before. She was getting older, and he could see that in the sunkeness in her eyes and the almost unnoticeable droop in her mouth. 

Callum sighed, "I don't even know this 'Queen Catherine of Hearts', for all I know, she could be a Heartless monster. Is she really so important?" He asked. Chrystal sighed and nodded. She hated having to rely on someone other than herself. 

"She's probably the most important person to have graced our land in a long time."

---------------------------------

Cath walked back to her room and smiled at the frantic guards running the halls. They were beyond angry as the head guard called an 'all clear' and claimed he had found the runaway queen. The hand that held her forearm and dragged her back to her chambers was painful, but she couldn't seem to take her mind off the plan they had come up with. 

They had all decided the best way to escape was by slipping out unnoticed instead of planning an elaborate escape, so the best time to do that was the engagement ball. The event where Cath was signing her freedom away for what seemed like the thousandth time.

With the door locked behind her, she made her way to her bathroom and turned on the faucet. She began stripping out of her dress when a figure approached out of nowhere. Cath let out a scream but released a breath of relief when she saw who it was.

Mary Ann stood there with a hand on her heart, she hadn't expected Cath to be in the room. She smiled when she saw the girl glared at her, "What are you doing here?" She hissed. 

Mary Ann engulfed her in a hug, "Oh Cath, I've missed you so much." She said happy to see her old friend. Cath frowned, "That doesn't answer my question Mary Ann." She said bitterly. The girl kept hugging her even as Cath began to squirm. She sighed,"I came here after what happened. I couldn't stay in Hearts knowing that you hated me." She said with her shoulders drooping. Cath's Chest throbbed and she let out a sigh as well, "I... I'm sorry Mary Ann, it wasn't your fault." She said trying her hardest to swallow her pride. 

Mary Ann smiled a bit sadly, "It's okay Cath, I just want to start over and be friends again." Cath nodded, relived Mary Ann wasn't bitter. And who knows, Mary Ann could be a good ally one day. Cath would probably go to her when it came to any issue involving math or numbers. Mary Ann was always good with them. 

Cath took her friend's hand with a small smile, "I'd like that."