Chapter 4- A Huge Ordeal

Catherine's eyes widened with a shock that chilled her bones and an anger that set her ablaze. She thought the lunatic that stood before her in a finery fit for a noble had gone back to Chess years ago, but there he was, top hat and all. Catherine tried not to let the effect his presence had show in her expression as she held her chin up and glided over.

"Hatta Hatter. To what do I owe the privilege of seeing you here?" She said coldly. Hatta smirked and gave a laugh that was a little too high pitched for a normal laugh.

"Your Majesty," he said clicking his tongue, "Have you forgotten me already?" 

Catherine's chest began to throb. She forced her eyes to pull away from his maddening gaze and to roam his figure. Besides the clear insanity in his eyes, he looked well. She clenched her hands in the folds of her skirt "I once told you that madness did not suit you, old friend. I guess that was only one of the few circumstances where I was wrong." She said raising her chin. 

Hatta's face broke into a wide-toothed grin, "Oh Catherine. You haven't changed since our last meeting. Always knowing exactly what to say." He said, his grin fading, "It's good to know that some things haven't changed since I left." He said winking at her. 

"That's where you're wrong Hatta," She snapped trying to keep from sinking her fingernails into his eyes sockets, "Everything has changed since you left." 

She expected another jab back from him, but in a flash, he was waltzing over to the King and putting an arm over his shoulder.

"Ah! Your Majesty! How lovely to see you! Thank you so much for giving me permission to be here tonight." He said now donning a smile that didn't reach his eyes. When he looked like this, it was as if he wasn't mad at all. As if he weren't a raving lunatic. 

Cath whipped her head around to look at her husband, a look of shock evident on her face, "You invited him?" She asked, her eyes narrowing. "Travel between Chess and Hearts is illegal and punishable by death. Are you telling me there is a fugitive in our midst?" She asked raising an eyebrow. 

The King gulped and shook his head about to answer when Hatta stepped in. 

"My dear Cath, you made travel between Hearts and Chess illegal, but not between Chess and other countries, nor other countries and Hearts. A small misstep on your part. After all, there are more than two places one could be. But in all fairness, your delightful husband didn't invite me exactly, I am but a mere plus one." He said before kissing the King on the cheek. The King let out a surprised squeal and flushed. Her husband was a child. 

Her eyebrows raise, "So you've found yourself a date! And who, pray tell, is the lady who you managed to trick into fancying you?" She asked coldly.

Hatta's smile turned into a smirk as he held out a hand and a young girl twirled into his arms. A girl she had just convicted that very day.

Her furious gaze snapped to her husband.

Sweat began to appear on the King's brow, "I invited Miss Alice as a guest and gave her the choice of a date." He said trembling. 

Her eye began to twitch, "I didn't know that inviting prisoners was something we were doing. Especially without consulting the other person." She said grinding her teeth. Alice kept a straight face while the king looked positively pale. 

"W-well, I m-made sure there a-are guards watching her e-every movement," He said gesturing to the many guards, "a-and I figured, if these t-two are friends, I might as well a-allow it."

Her husband was an idiot. Her husband was an idiot. Her husband was an idiot. 

"I won't forget this, my love." She said kissing the King on the cheek and exiting the ballroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Catherine kept her jaw clenched as she made her way to the kitchen. She would be a welcoming hostess, and she would welcome them the way she would welcome any guest she didn't enjoy the company of, with a bit of cruel trickery. 

Someone once told her that she didn't have the makings of a fool, but she did have the makings of a villain, a villain she had resigned to being a long time ago. 

It was an easy mixture really, just some wine - the finest - for even if she was a villain, she didn't stick to cheap shots. Then you mix a little sea urchin powder - just a pinch - and you were set. Scheming always made her more relaxed. Smiling, she made her way back to the party. She figured even unwanted guests deserve the royal treatment of a heartless queen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She snuck back into the ballroom silently as the dancing began. They were kicking the night off with a jaunty dance. Rustic music made Catherine want to vomit. 

Waving a servant over, she put the wine on the tray they were holding. The moose looked confused as they were handed the drink. "Give this to that girl over there. With the crazy blonde hair. Make sure she drinks it." 

"Yes, your Majesty." And with that, the servant made their way to Alice, their hooves clacking noisily on the marble floor.

Catherine watched from afar with a bit of giddy delight as Alice drained the glass without a second thought. What a stupid, stupid girl.

It didn't take long for the mixture to start working. Within the minute, the girl began to grow little by little. It wasn't long before she surpassed the heights of all the other guests. Catherine felt dejected when she saw the girl looked more curious than afraid. 

The King gasped in shock at the now ten-foot girl in the middle of the ballroom. The look on Hatta's face was that of knowing, as if he knew something like this would happen. Catherine began to shiver as that look of knowing turned into one of madness within the blink of an eye. Hatta's state of mind seemed to shift as if on a schedule. She would never forget that look for the rest of her days.

The guests were now in a state of panic. Apparently, they weren't used to seeing a 200-foot girl who's head bulged from the ceiling. The intricate ceiling design began to crumble with the pressure of Alice's skull. Fortunately for Alice, the mixture only lasted for a few moments and she began to shrink just as quickly as she grew. 

Catherine was overall disappointed in her trick. It hadn't worked out the way she wanted at all. She wanted that girl and Hatta to panic. She had even hoped for tears. Why could she never get what she wanted?

Hatta gave Alice a nod and she must've known what that meant, for the girl who still towered at about thirty feet picked up Hatta and made for the door, the helpless guards not knowing what to do at all. Hatta tossed a handkerchief at Cath before they departed. 

Cath was in shock as well. How had she been so stupid! She practically aided the escape of her prisoner. She viciously snatched the handkerchief off the ground in front of her and inspected it. It looked normal except for the smallest message embroidered in the corner that made Time seem to slow around her. 

The Rook lives.