Chapter 31 - Heading Home

Chrystal found a great amount of satisfaction in hearing her heels click on her shining marble floors. 

She had organized everything to perfection and would see to it that everything went off without a hitch. The first step to achieving that was not going to Hearts with her son and future daughter-in-law. The idea of setting foot in that kingdom almost made her gag. 

But, she would send her best lady's maid and would make sure that every single moment of their journey went flawlessly. Everything was packed in the carriages, all 14 of them of that Chrystal had insisted upon for the extra bit of glamour and attention. She would show Hearts how high the White Kingdom set their standards. 

She told the coordinator who was in charge of handling the trip that she would be there at 7:00 in the morning. It was currently 10:13. It was a queens job to test her subjects, and she wouldn't give up an opportunity to show off the power she had.

Callum was leaning against the carriage when she arrived. The servants around them sighed in relief, they weren't sure whether or not to go ahead and worry about meeting the queen. After all, Chrystal only showed up to half of the meetings she organized. 

She walked over to Callum who stood a little straighter when she had arrived. Both hands rested on his face as she kissed both of his cheeks. "Callum," she said softly, "this will be your first long distance trip without me and I'm trusting you to act like a king on behalf of myself. I want you to dazzle those people with your handsome good looks and charming personality that you inherited from me." Callum wasn't sure if she were complementing him or herself. She took her hands off his face and held his hands. "I will miss you, my love. Please come back with good news." 

Callum nodded and Chrystal watched as his nostrils flared a little. "Yes, mother." He said stoically. He knew his mother meant the best whenever she tried to show sentiment, but for Callum, it was just a reminder that she would never feel love for him again.

Cath watched the interaction from where she sat in the carriage. She had fallen asleep with her feet propped up on the bench across from her, a book draped in her lap. She hadn't been able to sleep the night before. She hoped that she would sleep better when she was home.

Home

She missed her kingdom with every aching bone in her body. She could feel her heart getting bigger every time she remembered Rock Turtle Cove and all the time she spent with Mary Ann and Jest. She remembered her bedroom in her old house and hoped her parents still had it the way she left it. A visit has been long overdue. 

Mary Ann dozed next to her with her knitting needles still in mid-stitch. Cath smiled at her friend before turning her attention back to Callum who was climbing in the carriage behind them. They were ready to go. 

One of the attendants knocked on her door twice to inform her that they were starting to move. She rested her head again the window of the carriage and watch the front wheels begin to turn. She was ready to go home.

--------------------------

When the carriages pulled up to the castle, Jest thought he might be sick. The White Kingdom had basically sent an entire army with the royals and he could only imagine the people's horror when they saw them parading through town during a time of kingdom-wide mourning. He could imagine the horror Cath felt when she saw her people wearing all black with a constant look of sorrow on their faces. 

The funeral was tomorrow and the White Queen had sent a party package to the Kingdom of Hearts. 

His heart both lifted and sunk when he saw Cath. She looked both happy and sad at the same time. Her eyes were bright, but there were bags under her eyes and she was more pale than usual. He yearned to wait for her in her room, but he suspected that she would be escorted by a thousand White Kingdom servants and guards.