Chapter 21 - Another Brilliant Ball (Part 2)

Jest felt like he couldn't take his eyes off Cath for a second otherwise he wouldn't have the courage to be there any longer, and leaving wasn't an option.
He had to stay and make sure that the guards and royals were all distracted so the others could make their escape.

And he would be performing tonight.

Chrystal had demanded he do some tricks to entertain their guests so he really had no choice in the end.
Nothing hurt Jest more than to perform and basically publicly endorse the wedding of his worse enemy's son and the love of his life. 

All anger left him when he saw Cath walk down those stairs.

She looked stunning, but he knew that dress wasn't her choice. He could see it in the slight unease in her posture, something anyone else would miss. He knew Chrystal had picked it out for the sole purpose of pleasing her son and uneasing their future queen.

Jest had met Callum twice within his time imprisoned. Once when he was sentenced, the boy had smiled at him in a venomous way similar to his mother and watched with joy as they shackled and whipped him. The second time was on Callum's 16th birthday where Jest was to perform a series of tricks and the boy had requested Jest tame a Dragon-Venom Python. That boy didn't do anything to calm Jest's nerves.

He watched as Callum bowed and Cath curtsied. They both look so elegant. Callum had offered her a hand which Cath took and they walked to the dance floor together. Neither of them looked happy.

The first dance was an upbeat waltz that the other guests joined in happily alongside the royals. Jest felt the urge to dance to it as well, but it was an unnatural urge. He glanced down at his drink and cursed realizing it was a mixture. Of course, no one would be dancing with happiness about this engagement. Jest didn't like being tricked, but he silently admitted to himself that it was a smart move.

He watched as Callum lead Cath across the dance floor in fluid movements, both of them being excellent dancers. If Jest didn't know Cath or Callum, he would've thought they made an attractive couple.

He was fortunate to know that this was just part of the ruse that would save their friend's lives.

------------------

The two children sat in their mother's chambers with a feeling of pure emptiness. 

Emptiness even now that they didn't have to see their mother succumb to her demons, emptiness in seeing their father take control as he had years ago, and emptiness that they didn't have to witness their mother kill another innocent soul.

They both cared for their mother in the way that they should, for they didn't know how else to feel when it came to her. She fed them, clothed them, and made sure they were safe, what else should a mother consist of? 

Yet, they knew that there was much more they were missing. Never did they receive goodnight hugs or kisses, happy smiles and homemade meals. Stories when they were sick and songs on their birthday, tears from laughter or special playtime and tea parties. Diamond and Spade knew they didn't have the childhood they should've, yet for some reason, they held no resentment. No matter how many times they tried to feel love or hatred, they felt nothing. Without knowing any feeling, they didn't know how to form words to explain what they thought.

The twins knew how to talk without really talking. They knelt on the bed, held hands, and waited. Waited for their father to stop crying at night, waited for the servants and guards to stop celebrating, waited for their mother to come back. They also waited for their friends to arrive. The three girls who were both younger and older than them who would give them toys and tell them stories.