Chapter 37 - Tragic Backstories (part 2)

Unedited, but here you go.

Drackon snoozed loudly next to her as Cath/Mariah stared up at the ceiling of her new home. Tomorrow they would leave for their honeymoon.

Today had been the wedding.

Cath wondered how long she would be trapped in this story. She wondered where Hatta was as well. She saw glimpses of him here and there, but she didn't know what he was doing or learning.

Fortunately Cath couldn't remember the parts Mariah couldn't remember, and thankfully the consummation of Drackon and Mariah's marriage had lost it's place in Mariah's mind.

Cath let her thoughts drift as she tuned into Mariah's emotions. She felt sadness, but a lot of it was anger.

Most of her thoughts were murder based towards the man sleeping next to her or the bumbling queen who stole the one she loved most.

All those thoughts struck Cath in a close way as she remembered her first night with the King of Hearts.

Would Cath end up an eyeless spy like Mariah was now?

The thought made her tremble. She would never let herself come to that.

Cath felt Mariah let exhaustion take over and went down with her. She dreamt of her life at home and rabbits

--------------

The rest of Mariah's story passed by in a blur. The only thing Cath picked up was Mariah's anger and sadness. Lots of parties came and went as well as political events. Drackon insisted on trying to conceive an heir almost every night. Mariah seemed to only remember the most gruesome times. Cath/Mariah felt nauseous every time.

The only time Mariah felt any kind of happiness was when she saw glimpses of Felipe. They never spend time alone, but seeing him in his regal clothing and handsome face was enough to keep her going. She especially felt happy when he smiled at her.

Cath didn't know where this story was going, but she had a feeling something important was just around the corner. It was only a matter of time.

--------------

Drackon had left for a business opportunity in the kingdom of Hearts and would be gone for a week. Mariah felt relief that she would get a break of his relentless tries at a child.

Not only that, but she came up with a plan to get Felipe alone.

When the clock hit midnight and the bells from the cathedral began to chime, she escaped out her window and made her way to the palace. She knew where his room was by heart now and the way she used to use when she visited him.

Climbing up the secret set of stairs, she opened the door to his private chamber and closed the door softly behind her.

She could see his restful silhouette in the moonlight that leaked into the room. He was so beautiful it almost brought tears to her eyes. She quietly made her way over and sat on the side of the bed.

The small movement awoke him with a jolt. Mariah softly placed a hand on his shoulder to calm him. He blinked the sleep from his eyes and offered a slow, sleepy smile.

"Hello, mi amor." He said before flipping her so she was underneath him.

She let out a giggle, "I've missed you my love." She said kissing him.

He kissed her back with the eagerness she hope for. She was breathless.

She pulled away to study the man she had loved for years. His beautiful, young face, his silver hair that brushed his shoulders, his strong hands. He was a wonder.

He studied her right back while his hand cradled her face and his thumb brushed the apple of her cheek.

With one more kiss they both fell into oblivion.

-----------

Mariah woke in a cold sweat and ran to the bathing chambers attached to Felipe's room. She vomited what she had in her stomach and immediately knew why.

She was pregnant. And it was Drackon's.

She felt her breaths come in short gasps. She wasn't ready to be a mother. She wasn't ready for anything. She wanted to be a young girl who played with her dolls. She wanted to be a kid who played dress up with the servants. She didn't want to be pregnant and in the depths of despair.

"You're with child, aren't you?"

Whipping around, a half dressed Felipe stood in the doorway.

"You know what this means, right?"

Mariah shook her head, but she had an idea.

"Mariah, I think it's best if you leave. For good."

With that, he turned and left Mariah on the floor devastated.