Chapter 33 - An Array of Emotion

Cath was positive she was going to die the minute she woke up. 

Her chest felt like someone had been pounding it with a hammer and she felt sicker than when she was pregnant with Diamond and Spade.

Diamond and Spade!

She would get to see them!

Her mind told her to hop out of bed, but her body told her there was no way that was happening. She groaned and rolled over with a sigh. a white rose and a note lay on the pillow next to hers. She smiled and picked up the letter under it. 

Cath

If you wake up before I'm back, sit tight. I have a surprise.

-Your one and only

Cath let out a happy sigh. She had missed his notes from her courtship with the King.

The King.

He was dead. Cath clutched her chest as her breathing sped up.

And it was her fault. 

He died because of her selfishness. He died because she had taken off years of his life. She had left him alone to deal with things he never had the stomach to handle. She left him to die with a broken heart.

Tears spilled out of her eyes as she spotted her Crown in the display case on her vanity. He had bought it for her as a wedding gift. He bought it for her even after she had done so many cruel things to him.

He had loved her regardless.

Small sobs escaped as she mourned her husband. She would never forgive herself and that was the price she had to pay. The knowledge that a person, no matter how annoying, or ignorant, or unattractive, had died because of how selfish she was. 

A knock sounded at the door. "Who is it?" she called trying to steady her voice. Jest peeked in, "Goodmorning love." He said seeing her puffy eyes and wet face, "You have visitors." 

He opened the door and her children sped to her bed. She bit her cheeks so she wouldn't sob anymore and put on a strained smile. They stopped in front of the foot of the bed and stared at Cath the way they stared at strangers. And maybe she was a stranger, but she didn't care anymore. She didn't want to wait any longer to show her children the love they deserved. 

Cath didn't care if they were somehow mad at her, she went over and scooped them up into a hug. 

No words were exchanged. The twins were silent as usual and didn't react as Cath held them both. 

She smiled and spoke clearly, hope shining through her like a beacon. "I promise I won't ever leave again, okay? I'm not going anywhere." She said kissing both of their heads. It was more of a promise to herself.

She felt Diamond pull away, then Spade. They took each other's hands before each taking one of Cath's. Diamond held a small smile and Spade looked curious. They were odd children with odd ways of showing love, but at least it was something. 

Jest hated to interrupt, but he had to. They had things to do. He cleared his throat, "I'm sorry guys, we have to get ready for the funeral." Cath nodded and took a deep breath before letting go of her children's hands. Giving Jest a smile, she stood from her bed. 

"Thank you." She mouthed to him as Diamond and Spade hurried out. He smiled back at her and engulfed her in a hug. "I'll be there the entire time, I'll just look different." He said kissing her forehead. He felt her nod before he pulled back and headed for the door so he could get ready. 

"Jest?" She called softly. 

He turned back to look at her.

She smiled, "I love you." 

He smiled.

"I know, love." 

-----------------------------

Cath sat with her hands folded in her lap as she waited for Callum in the carriage that would take them and their party to the funeral. 

Her dress was black velvet with blood-red hearts embroidered in the fabric. The hearts were upside down and looked more like teardrops than hearts and the sleeves reached her wrists. It was excruciatingly hot. 

Callum looked disheveled as he climbed in, "Sorry I'm late, I had some of your husbands funeral plans to look to." He said bitterly. 

She frowned, "I'm sorry, I was very ill last night." She said a bit defensively. She watched as he let out a snort and rolled his eyes. "Ah, that must be code for playing around with your boyfriend." 

Cath was taken aback. How dare he? She glared at him viciously.

"Excuse me? Out of all the ignorant things you've said, this is probably the most ridiculous! I was sick to the point where I can hardly remember what was happening last night. I remember being in so much pain and Jest walking in but that's it. I'll also have you know that this funeral means more to me than you could ever know. We're talking about my dead husband you ungrateful little boy. Stop throwing a tantrum and look beyond your selfish inclinations." 

Callum's face was red with both anger and shame. He didn't know why it had bothered him so much that she would rather spend time with a peasant guy than with him. It was probably his pride. If she were going to be his wife, it was only fitting that he would get the most attention. He turned his head away from her and looked out the window with a sigh. 

Cath rolled her eyes and looked down at her hands as the carriage began to move slowly. She hoped Time would be kind and move this day along faster. 

She was so lost in thought that when her hands suddenly began to bleed, she had no idea why. She frowned before realizing what happened. 

Another rock flew through the window. 

She covered her face with her arms and felt someone pull her to the floor of the carriage and cover her with a jacket. 

They were under attack.

------------------------

I honestly love how Callum is the epitome of the Obnoxious Teenage Boy™. His character growth is honestly going to be my favorite part because I wish every Obnoxious Teenage Boy™ would get the character growth they need. 

This chapter is all the cheese. I honestly had to stop and eat something bitter so that way the sweetness wouldn't be too much, but oh well. Gotta love mushiness.