Chapter 36 - Tragic Backstories (Part 1)

Cath found herself on the floor of a bathroom in a ballgown. She groaned as she pushed herself up from the floor and found a different person staring at her. Instead of Green eyes, Cath now how eyes the color of an Ameythst. Her dark hair became the most vibrant shade of red and her skin was the brightest shade of white.

She had exactly 14 seconds to study herself before a knock sounded on the door.

"Princess Mariah! Open up sweetie, Count Drackon's looking for you!" The voice on the other end said with a slight drawl to her accent.

"I'm coming!" Mariah/Cath called back. Cath frowned, the words that came out weren't hers.

Her legs began to move without her permission. She gasped as she felt her body move. She was currently a younger Mariah Hatter.

Cath/Mariah's hands adjusted the crown on her head as she made her way into the ballroom. It was stunning. Everything was either red or white, including the people.

A hand grasped her arm as she stood on the balcony. She turned to see an exceptionally tall man with pearlescent skin and a bright red suit. His looks were so much like Hatta's that she had to do a double take. This must be his father.

He glared down at her, a look that would've shaken Cath to her core, but she felt Mariah's calm thoughts and cool emotions. Either he was no threat or she had some sort of upper hand. Knowing Mariah, it was probably the latter option.

"Oh, Drackon, I've been looking for you." She said flashing him a friendly smile.

His lips twitched as if he were going to curl them back, but they didn't. Instead, he scoffed, "If you're going to lie to me Mariah, then I suspect you learn how to be good at it."

Drackon lit a cigar as he watched a young couple parade along the floor, his eyes traveling the curves of the young woman. By the way the woman looked back up at him, it was obvious they used to be involved. Or still were.

Her eyes spotted Hatta in the crowd as she scanned the area. He seemed almost... translucent. As if he were a ghost.

He smiled up at her before moving to get a drink. Her gaze continued on until she caught a glimpse of an older silver-haired man. His eyes met hers and she felt the same jolt of emotion she got when she saw Jest.

Mariah loved this man.

Cath couldn't help but feel annoyed that she had been thrown into another star-crossed lovers story. Of course Mariah had to have some sort of tragic backstory.

Cath/Mariah smiled down and the man and he smiled back.

Her smile vanished when Drackon grabbed her hand again and roughly pulled her away.

"Ow! What was that for?" She asked ripping herself from his grasp.

His face was a light shade of red as he spoke through clenched teeth, "Don't even think of making eyes at the White King. You're my fiancé. I knew being engaged to Red royalty trash was a bad idea."

Cath/Mariah's jaw almost dropped. Mariah was in love with the White King.

She wanted to fire back but she didn't. She kept her mouth shut.

It wasn't long until they went back into the ballroom. Cath/Mariah picked up one of many champagne flutes and drank the night away into a blurry clump of dancing and sorrow.

---------------------

She woke up in a bed that wasn't her own. She gasped when she saw another person on the bed with her. Had she really spent the night with another person?

She looked down and sighed in relief when she realized she was fully clothed along with the person next to her.

Her eyes caught a flash of silver as the man turned over. It was the White King.

His lips spread into a sleepy smile, "Good morning mi amor." He said leaning over to kiss her.

Cath wanted to cringe. Wasn't he married?

Mariah relaxed into his touch physically, but Cath was trying to piece things together in her mind.

Mariah was from the Red Kingdom originally and was obviously some sort of royalty,

The man Mariah loved was the White King,

Mariah is engaged to another man named Drackon,

And something bad is going to happen.

The man pulled away from the kiss and smiled before standing up to change. "Shall we spend the day at the lake? Or maybe visit the gardens? Chrystal is with her sister today so we shouldn't be bothered."

Mariah didn't seem bothered by the mention of his wife. She sighed, "I can't today, I have brunch with Drackon's parents." She said stretching her arms.

The man sighed, "Darling, can't you just cancel? Claim you're 'under the weather?'" He asked making the quotation marks with his fingers.

Mariah sighed in response, "Felipe, you know I have to take this seriously. If my father catches me with another man that isn't Drackon, then he'll gladly punish me and I really don't want bruises. I wish I could stay," She said walking over to him and kissing him briefly, "But I just can't."

He nodded and ducked his head, "I understand mi amor." He said planting a kiss on her forehead.

Mariah nodded and frowned at herself in the mirror. Her dress was incredibly rumpled and her hair resembled a bird's nest. She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear before straightening her shoulders. "I must leave to get ready. I'll see you tonight." She said kissing his cheek.

He smiled at her as she made her way to the door, "Adios, mi corazón."

-------------------------

She had changed into something a little more casual for the meeting with Drackon and his Parents. They were going to discuss some wedding plans that day which made Mariah's hands shake. She clenched them in her lap hoping they would settle.

She plastered a smile on her face as Drackon walked up to her.

"Your stuff has been packed. We must leave right away." He said without greeting.

Mariah wanted to say something sarcastic but refrained. Instead, she frowned.

"Leave?" She asked taking a sip of the tea that had been placed in front of her.

Drackon gave a brisk nod as he grabbed her arm and pulled her out of her chair. She cried out as hot tea spilled down on her bodice. He didn't so much as glance back.

"Your father and I had a... falling out. We need to forge this alliance before this ruins our chances. We're to be married tomorrow."

Her eyes widened, "Tomorrow?"

He nodded and finally glanced back at her with a bitter smile.

"Welcome to the family, Princess."