Chapter 41 - Wedding Bells

Cath and Callum made immediate plans to leave the next day, but this time she would not leave her children behind. When she had told them that they were leaving, Diamond and Spade had no reaction. Now that she knew why they never showed emotion, it made her almost devastated when she saw the lack of feeling in their faces. 

She would also bring the others for help. If she encountered Mariah, she would need her team behind her.

Carriages were packed and the horses were fed. Cath was ready to go until she remembered that she would be leaving her kingdom unattended. So she called a meeting with all cabinet members to discuss who would take temporary charge.

She had decided Raven would take her place. The cabinet members, still very afraid of Cath, all agreed unanimously and wished her safe travels. 

So she, Callum, Diamond, Spade, and all the others set off to Chess. And Cath would be married in the morning.

---------------------------

"I'm ready for this to be over. I'm ready to just live a life with the people I love without so much tragedy." Cath said playing with one of Jest's curls. They were both lying in the garden where no one could see them. Cath decided that her last night as a single woman was going to be spent with Jest, the one she truly loves.

Jest twirled a strand of her hair around his finger, his body propped on his arm. "I know what you mean, I'm ready to wake up and see your face every morning without wondering if it'll be my last time." He said releasing the strand of hair to stroke her face.

Cath closed her eyes to focus on the way his hand felt against her cheek. To feel something other than the dread of marrying Callum the next day. 

"But it can never truly be over Jest. I have to live with the consequences of who I was. With the knowledge that I was a murderer and that I've ruined so many people's lives." She said squeezing her eyelids together tightly. "How can you continue to love me and be so kind when I've done unspeakable things?" She asked opening her eyes.

Jest's gaze went to the flowers behind her as he thought of what to say. "I understand that who you used to be was horrible and monstrous. I understand that you've taken the lives of innocent people. But that person isn't who you are now or who you were before. That person was born out of grief, anger, and the fact that you literally did not have a heart. Even if you were that same person now, part of me would still love you, but since you're not that person now, all of me loves you. And you can't change the past. It doesn't matter how many deals with Time you make, you can't change it. So I'm not judging you on your past, I'm hoping for your better future."

Cath's eyes burned with unshed tears, "But Jest, I'll still be a murderer even with a heart. I still have to kill someone I love, doesn't that bother you?"

Jest gave her a smile, "No, because you're doing it in order to save millions of other people's lives. Even if I were the one you killed, I would still understand your decision."

Cath was horrified at the thought of seeing Jest die for a second time. "Jest, I'd kill myself before I'd ever kill you." 

"Well, let's just hope that at the end of it all we're both still alive because I'm not too fond of dying. I've done it once and I hope I never do it again before it's natural time." He said with an easy-going smile.

Cath couldn't help but smile back even if she felt grim. She leaned in and kissed him softly. Yes, she was so scared of what the future would bring but she had never felt so hopeful. She would have a better future, one with Jest. 

He leaned over her and positioned himself so she lay on the ground and his elbow rested beside her as he gazed down at her with pure affection in his eyes. She wrapped her arms around his neck as he placed kissed on both corners of her lips before kissing her completely. It was a slow but deep kiss because he knew they had all night. And the whole night they would use.

--------------------------

Both ceremonies were so long and boring that Alice had thought about setting off a stink bomb or something just to liven the evening. 

Alice did enjoy seeing everyone scramble with panic as the wedding plans had been pushed up so severely. Almost all the servants were crying from stress rather than happiness. 

The room was almost blinding with how much white there was. Unlike other traditions in other kingdoms, at the White Kingdom, everyone wore white to weddings, so the noon sun made it almost impossible to see without squinting. 

The coronation was even longer because the whole thing was spoken in another language. Alice was almost asleep against Hatta's shoulder when everyone stood up to leave. She could've cried with the servants but from relief. Now they would get to celebrate and enjoy themselves.

Except the reception was also boring. Everything was boring. Everything was boring. Everything was boring. Everything was boring. Everything was boring. 

Until it wasn't. Because Alice saw Mariah Hatter lurking in the shadows like a ghost in her simple white gown. 

Alice was going to enjoy this. 

She sprinted through the crowd and lept onto Mariah with a battle cry. 

The people around gasped at the commotion and Alice smiled in triumph.

Her smile faded as she saw that the person she had lept on wasn't Mariah Hatter, but a random woman looking at her with horror. 

Alice cursed before apologizing profusely and quickly running away. She ran to the garden to hide and hunched near a tree as she caught her breath. Her breaths turned into hysterical laughs as she thought about the way she had tackled that poor woman. It was so funny that she had barely noticed the figure on the other side of the tree.

It was Cath slumped over, her hands bound together. 

"Cath?" She asked leaning down to check on her. She jumped when she heard a voice curse from behind her. 

"I guess this is what I get for leaving to get a slice of cake. I guess I'll bring you too then."

Alice gasped when she met a pair of dead eyes she had been seeing in her nightmares. Mariah Hatter was the last person she saw before her vision faded away and she fell into a dreamless sleep.