Chapter 38 - Tragic Backstories (part 3)

Mariah never slept. She often sat in the parlour of her bedchambers with an open book in her lap and stared at the fire in the fireplace.

Day by day she grew bigger. Her ankles became swollen and she often had sickness in the morning. She was too pregnant to make an appearance in society, so she sat in her parlour and thought of everything and nothing. She desperately wanted a drink.

On a particularly painful morning Mariah was in her usual seat and listing off baby names when Drackon stumbled in clearly intoxicated. He smiled the way she imagined a mischievous cat would and placed his hands on her stomach. She scowled and got up. It took her some effort to waddle away from him, but she managed and caught her balance against the mantle of the fireplace, "What do you want?" She asked bitterly.

Drackon shrugged, "I just want to say hello to my son before I meet with Cece who just so happens to carry my daughter." He said sitting where she had occupied. He pulled a cigar and lighter out of his pocket and lit it. He moved his eyes from her swollen feet to her swollen breasts. She cover herself with her arms and turned away. He blew smoke in her direction.

"It's a good thing you stopped whoring around. I was tired of hearing the gossip." He said flicking the ashes of his cigar on the carpet. He stood, "But now it's nice to hear everyone talking about how he left you for dead in his servants hall." He stepped closer and scanned her face for a reaction. His lips spread into a grin and he let out a high pitched laugh. He began to laugh so hard he fell on the ground. 

He pulled a knife out of his pocket, "Maybe if my son came out to play now, I could kill you sooner rather than later." He said playing with the knife. He looked up and gazed at her warmly, the knife draped in his hands.

And then she saw it in his eyes, something she had never seen before. He was insane. Hatta had been right when he said his father had succumbed to madness, he was about to kill his wife and son.

Her breathing had sped up. Yes, she was afraid. Yes, She was emotional and angry and tired of his stupid cat smile and the way his right eye closed before his left when he blinked and the dirt under his fingernails that he never cleans. It only took a slight pressure with the fire skewer to pierce his heart.

He lay dead on the ground and she felt nothing except a warm liquid splash her bare feet.

She was having her baby.

------------------------

Cath relived the moments when her twins were born as she experienced childbirth once again. Non-stop screaming and nurses and a bathtub where they kept her as she pushed the miracle of life out of her body and held it in her arms. And Drackon was right, it was a boy. It was Hatta.

She was so amazed by this tiny being that she had almost forgotten the dead man in her parlour. Oh well. The window had been open. The Ravens will get him.

Her nurses helped her to her bed and placed the new child in the crib next to it. Mariah has insisted the child be near her. It would only be a matter of time before they would have to flee. Drackon had powerful friends and they would no doubt want to take revenge for his murder. 

"I'll get you some tea, mistress." Her maid said and opened the door to the parlour. She let out a scream as she saw the body on the floor. "Get out of here!" She yelled shooing away the ravens that had come in. All left except one.

It's black eyes pierced hers. She didn't know how long she looked at the bird. Maybe she was dreaming.

The raven spoke.

How is a raven like a writing desk?

It asked.

She didn't know.

Somewhere in the distance, her child was crying.

She would kill all of them. All the people who did her child wrong.

She would get the closure she never got.

It astonished Cath to see how similar she and Mariah had been. Both of them had a thirst for vengeance that could only be quenched through blood.

She didn't want to be a part of this story anymore, but she had to. She knew that if she finished this narrative, it would help her find what she needed.

————————
Sorry for the short chapter, but I'm trying not to rush the story too much by putting a lot in one chapter. Also this isn't edited so please pardon my mistakes. Thank you for staying with me guys <3

-GMTS