Chapter 39 - This Means War

Cath watched as Mariah turned into something else. 

She watched as Mariah fled back to her kingdom under the guise of Crimson Scarlett, a very average name in the Red Kingdom. Cath watch as she made hats as an occupation but mixed improbable mixtures for fun. She tested these mixtures on patrons. 

She made some grow, some shrink, some turn purple, and finally, she was able to erase memories. 

So when it struck her fancy, she would attack the White Kingdom. Mostly Chrystal, the blubbering, idiotic white queen. She once cut off one of her toes. She once set her room on fire. She knew the white queen had done nothing wrong, but she was the easiest target. It should be Mariah ruling alongside Felipe. And she did have plans for Felipe. He would pay, just a bigger price. 

But when she wasn't doing that, she was raising a little boy who became the light of her life. 

His real name wasn't Hatta, but Mariah had forgotten his name a long time ago. She had given him the nickname 'Hattie' when he insisted on trying on all the hats that came into the store shipments, and then it had matured into 'Hatta.' 

One night she was reading Hatta the tale of the Jabberwock when the idea came to her. How she would truly make Felipe and the White Kingdom pay. It had been the White Kingdom that had given her a madly murderous husband. It was the White King himself who had screwed her over. She would make them all pay. 

It would take years, but she would do it. And she would bring Hatta along for the ride.

---------------------

The memories seemed to fast forward to yet another party. This time it was an outdoor festival full of tents and booths. Cath heard the distant sound of music and laughter. 

When she caught a glimpse of Mariah's appearance, she was shocked. 

Mariah had cut her hair almost to her scalp and dyed it silver. She also had a mustache. Cath honestly couldn't tell if it were fake or not. 

She wore a heavy jacket and black trousers. Mariah looked like a man. 

She looked around at all the booths before her attention was drawn to a woman laying flower crowns on the heads of little girls and servants. That woman was a much younger Chrystal. 

This must be the night of the White Kingdom attack. 

Cath felt sick.

She watched as Mariah nodded in the direction of a booth. Hatta stood in a full getup at a food booth. He winked at Mariah as he gave a pastry to a young teenage boy.

Mariah set her gaze on the silver-headed man standing by Chrystal. Felipe. 

Her heart panged with anger and want. She longed for the man she loved but hated the monster in front of her. She cleared her throat and approached him. 

"Hello, Your Majesty." She said in a deep voice. 

Felipe gave an insincere smile, "Hello sir." He said and looked away dismissively. 

It took every ounce of Mariah to not scream at him. 

For a minute, she thought she had, but then she realized the screaming came from behind her. It was followed by a series of crashes and roars. 

Mariah smiled, it was time. 

When the Jabberwock came insight, Mariah almost laughed with glee. 

The beast charged at Felipe ferociously with a loud roar. 

Mariah reached into her pocket and threw a small glass vial at the feet of the Jabberwock and instantly the Jabberwock fell dead. 

Felipe stood next to Mariah breathing heavily and wide-eyed. 

"W-what was that?" He asked shaken.

"A Jabberwock." Mariah said simply. She would keep her words to a minimum in case he noticed the light feminine tone to her voice.

Felipe looked at it a bit longer and clenched his eyes shut. He then looked at Mariah with respect gleaming in his eyes. 

"Sir, I owe you my life." Felipe said clasping Mariah's back. 

Mariah shrugged, "How about a drink instead?"

-------------------------

Felipe was as boisterous when he drank as she remembered. They sat in the liquor tent where the lights were low and the alcohol ran freely. She hardly got a word in as he told stories of his victories on the war field. She remembered when he told her these stories as they lay in bed at night. She almost walked away from what she was about to do, but she couldn't lose her nerve now. Not when she was so close.

When he finally ran out of stories, he decided to indulge Mariah in a real conversation. "Do you have a family, good sir?" He had asked

Mariah grunted, "I used to have a wife, she, uh, died." Mariah said coughing and trying to cover up the fact that she was full of it. "Never remarried."

Felipe smiled widely, "Ah yes, how romantic, to stay true to your love even through death! I commend you on your loyalty"

What about pregnancy? She wanted to ask.

Felipe continued, "You know, I too have remained loyal to my wife. It takes a strong man to do so!" He said before taking a drag of his drink. He flinched at the strength of the liquor and laughed, "It would appear nature's calling and I must answer. I shall be back!" He said clapping Mariah on the back just a little too hard. 

This was her chance! Making sure no one was looking, she slipped the contents of another vial she brought with her. She would stay and watch the transformation. 

And when he came back, he finished off his drink with a flourish.

Yes, she thought

She looked him in the eye as every inch of him turned to obsidian. He was no longer the White King, but a King of the shadows. 

Mariah was delighted. It had gone off with a hitch. As she watched the new creature in front of her run full speed out of the tent, she whispered to his retreating figure.

"I'll see you again, mi amor."

------------------

Cath sat up with a jolt and felt immediately disoriented. Was she herself or still Mariah?

She saw Hatta and Jest and sighed with relief. She was back.

"How long were we gone?" She asked Jest.

He looked over at a clock, "Only around 5 minutes. What did you see?" He asked curiously.

Cath needed to digest this information.

Mariah was the one to create the new black king. Mariah is the reason more people are dying than ever before. 

But this still didn't explain why she needed Cath's heart. She had gotten what she wanted, right? 

Cath shook her head feeling a little nauseous, "I saw Mariah's past. Jest, she was the one who turned the White King evil. She caused this war to become far deadlier than it was before."

The shock was apparent on his face as he thought it over, "You saw her do it?"

Cath nodded, "What doesn't make sense is why she would steal my heart from you in the first place." 

"I'm afraid I know something about that."

They all turned their heads to look at the small figure on the window sill. 

A smiling cat stood perched, "Hello all."