24 | A Reason To Hope

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR : A REASON TO HOPE

1973

Evie stepped into Cerebro once again and the energy was different. It was like a match had been lit again, a flame burning brighter then before. The brunette looked to the man she loved and could see that something had changed in his eyes. Even though his eyes showed his broken heart, there was a spark.

Cerebro turned on once again and Charles obvious struggled with it, he was dealing. Evie's gaze was on the man, prepared to step in if she needed to. It wasn't until he started speaking that she relaxed. Slightly.

"Raven, stop." Charles exclaimed which made the trio stood behind look at him. "Stop running. Back at the house where you should be. I need you to come home. If you kill Trask, you'll be creating countless more just like him." There was a pause, Evie assumed Raven was talking from wherever she was. "Those are Erik's words, not yours. The girl I grew up with wasn't capable of killing. She was good, fair, full of compassion."

"Shut her down, Charles." Logan told the telepath urgently. "Get in her head."

"She's not letting me in. I'm barely holding on, I'm not strong enough yet." Charles snapped at the man, his voice wavering slightly. "I know what Trask has done, but killing him will not bring them back. It will set you on a path from which there is no return. An endless cycle of killing, us and them, till there is nothing left. But we can stop it, right now, you and I. You just have to come home."

Charles' face fell as he heard what Raven was saying. It was like his heart was breaking all over again and Evie couldn't stand to see him like this. Without thinking about it, Evie placed her hand on her shoulder, squeezing it slightly. It was a small gesture but she knew it meant a lot when she felt the man relax under her.

"You do?" Charles continued to talk to Raven. "Then wherever you go, I will find you and, Raven, if you make me, I will stop you."

With a frustrated sigh, the man pulled of the helmet and threw it onto the control panel. It was obvious that he was angry but whether it was at Raven or at himself was left up for interpretation. He ran a hand through his hair as gritted his teeth.

"Get some rest Charles," Logan spoke up, patting the man on the back before leaving the futuristic room. "We'll track her in the morning and find out exactly where she's going."

"This is all my fault." Charles exclaimed as he rolled around the room. Evie was watching from the doorway, leaning against it as she watched her lover slowly freak out.

"Charles." Evie called out in a melodic tone.

"Erik was right," The man continued as he ignored her. He didn't mean to but the voices were louder then hers. "We should have killed her.