12 | Trauma

CHAPTER TWELVE : TRAUMA

"Come on," Raven exclaimed as she halted in the library doorway. Evie looked up from her space in confusion. "The president's about to make his speech."

Immediately, Evie shut the book and rushed after the blonde. They reached the lounge room in no time and saw everyone already there. The brunette slowly sat next to Charles, she hadn't talked to him since the failed attempts to improve her mutation the previous day. Luckily, it wasn't awkward.

"It shall be the policy of this nation to regard any nuclear missile, crossing the embargo line that surrounds Cuba as an attack by the Soviet Union on the United States. Requiring a full retaliatory response on the Soviet Union." Kennedy's voice echoed throughout the room which made Evie bit her inner lip nervously.

"That's where we're gonna find Shaw." Erik identified sternly, almost in a knowing tone.

Alex furrowed his brows, turning to the man and questioning, "How do you know?"

"Two super powers facing off, and he wants to start World War Three." Charles spoke up, following the same train of thought as his friend. "He won't leave anything to chance."

"So much for diplomacy." Erik scoffed in disgust as he began to walk away, not before turning to the rest of the mutants. "I suggest you all get a good nights sleep."

The day slowly turned into the evening, the blues of the sky turning orange before black. As Charles began to do the rounds, making sure no one had gotten lost again, he came across a light that was still on at the end of the corridor. He slowly walked towards it, smiling gently when he saw Evie sat on her bed, reading a book.

"Have you even gone to sleep yet?" He questioned as he lent against the door frame casually.

Evie looked up to him, smiling when she saw him. "I tried." She answered truthfully.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He offered as he pushed himself off the frame, walking into the room and sitting on the end of her bed.

"Shouldn't you just go into my head, find it yourself?" Evie asked him, motioning to her brain as she placed her book down.

"I said I wouldn't do that, I intend to keep my word." He replied as he grinned at her.

Evie chuckled lightly before her expression fell, twiddling her fingers together. "There's something blocking me from reaching my potential, something locked away." She explained as she touched her head, looking up at him. "You're realised it by now, right?"

"I have." Charles nodded sadly.

"Can you find it for me, please?" She asked him softly, her eyes showing how scared she was. "I want to be of some help tomorrow but I can't do that if I haven't reached my limit."