22 | Let It Break You

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO : LET IT BREAK YOU

Evie had lived at the Xavier mansion for a week or two but she was still mesmerized by it. The size was one thing but it was the fact it hadn't changed in over a decade. Sure, it was now more child friendly but that didn't change much. It was still large and obnoxious but felt more homely then her own apartment.

As the group walked into the foyer, the brunette span slowly, taking in her surroundings. There was a thin layer of dust covering the surfaces - it was obvious Hank tried to clean but probably gave up.

Before Evie could gaze for any longer, Charles cried out in pain, dropping to the floor and clutching his back. Everyone rushed over to the professor, trying to see what was wrong.

"What happened?" Logan questioned in worry as he helped Charles onto a table next to him.

"Charles!" Evie called out in concern, rushing over to him, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. But it didn't seem to help at all.

"Why can't he walk?" Logan asked the doctor next to him.

"He needs his treatment." Hank replied before rushing up the stairs to retrieve it.

This left Evie and Logan alone with the man who has gripping his head in agony. Evie felt useless that she couldn't help and wondered that if she had stayed, could she have prevented this. It was like her voice was caught in her throat because she didn't know how to comfort him.

"Hey, hey, pull yourself together." Logan told the man who was grabbing his hair in pain. Evie sent the future man a confused look. "It's not over yet."

Charles paused and looked at him for a moment. "You don't believe that."

"How do you know?" Logan faltered, his expression dropping into a grim one.

"As these go, this comes back." Charles pointed to his legs then to his head. He shut his eyes and grimaced as he called, "They all come back!"

With clenched fists, Evie finally made her decision. Instantly, she rushed to her lover, kneeing down in front of him. "Charles, hey! Look at me." When the man didn't look at her, she called a little louder. "Look at me!" With great reluctance, Charles glanced down. "Look at my eyes, describe them."

"What?" Charles questioned her in confusion, pain still etched into his face.

"My eyes, describe my eyes." Evie repeated, her eyes staring straight into his.

With tears pricking the corners of his eyes, Charles took a small breath. "They're brown."

"Go deeper." Evie encouraged him, her hands going up to grip his arms.

Charles shook his head gently as he tried to make sense of what was happening. "They're stubborn." He observed.

"That's my personality." Evie stated as her eyes fluttered. She hated seeing Charles in pain but she was trying to get his mind off it. "My eyes, Charles, focus on my eyes."