01 | Atomic

CHAPTER ONE : ATOMIC

The scenery was pretty plain, the occasional patch of tall grass along the dusty road. It was hot and muggy but it didn't stop the trucks from moving speedily. A dust cloud formed behind it as it trailed throughout the border. The people inside were currently overseas fighting a war, sometimes they didn't know what they were fighting for but they still had to serve for their country.

Inside one of the three trucks, sat four bomb specialists. Three of them were adults, experienced and confident in their abilities. The other was new and scared. He hadn't been in the military long and it was obviously.

"Hey Ford," Mackena questioned the youngest. The man looked to be in his late thirties, stuck back hair and stubble on his chin. "You worried?" He questioned her.

"A little." The young man chuckled a little. Ford had dusty blond hair and crystal blue eyes which sparkled in the foreign light. "Why, am I not allowed to be?"

"The Vietnamese can smell fear." Mackena exclaimed, leaning forward, an evil smirk on his face. "They're like wolves, they'll hunt ya down and eat ya."

"Leave him alone Mackena." Evie cut in, placing a comforting hand on Ford's shoulder. She gave him a smile as she continued, "Ignore him, he always tries to spook the new comers. So Ford, where you from?"

"Texas." Ford replied shyly.

"Texas huh? You're a long way from home buddy." Ramon laughed heartily as she leant back in her seat, her eyes closed. Ramon was the oldest of the group, she had white patches of hair and gorgeous brown eyes.

"Aren't we all?" Ford fired back with a teasing smile.

Evie laughed along with everyone else in the van before she turned back to Ford. "Why'd you wanna join the bomb specialists?"

"Military family." Ford answered as he scratched his neck awkwardly. "My dad always pressured me into it but I've always been better with my hands. When I found out this division existed, I jumped on it. Not only could I please my dad but I actually stand a chance at surviving." He explained as he fiddled with his fingers.

"Well, out here, we all got each other's backs." Mackena stated as he fist bumped Evie. "We're a family."

Unexpectedly, the truck came to an abrupt halt. All the people in the truck slid slightly in their seats as it stopped. They all shared a concerned look before they all unbuckled. A small sense of panic rushed in as they readied their weapons just incase.