09 | Insomnia

CHAPTER NINE : INSOMNIA

At night Charles usually did checks on the rest of the mutants. He knew how easy it was to get lost in the house and he lived there. On more then one occasion, Raven and Charles had to search the house for missing people and even then it took hours.

So when it was past midnight, Charles didn't expect to see a light on in the library. With confusion, he wondered to the doorway to see what was going on. That's when a fond smile over took his lips, his eyes softening. Evie was asleep on her arms, books scattered all over the desk in front of her.

A small chuckle left his lips as he grabbed a blanket from the chair next to him. He walked as silently as possible, placing the grey fabric around the brunette's shoulders. He tucked it under her arms to make sure she could conserve body heat. He saw her shiver slightly as his hand accidentally brushed over her skin.

He watched her frown, brows knitting together, her eyes moving under her eyelids as if she was searching for something. Charles decided to leave then, he didn't want Evie to wake up and think he was a creep. With one last glance to her figure, Charles left her alone in her slumber.

After what felt like hours of searching for a single bomb, they were close. Evie always considered it a sixth sense, at least that's what she told people. She couldn't exactly say that she could feel explosive devices with her mutation because she'd be murdered if she did.

"Over here!" Mackena shouted in alarm as he threw the small shovel away from where he was standing. Delicately, he placed a red flag in the ground before backing up slowly.

"You found it?" Evie questioned as she ran over with the rest of the bomb squad.

Ramon nodded to the leader as she stood back too. "Under the ground." She replied as they looked to the brunette.

"Alright, everyone stand out of the blast radius." Evie instructed them all as she began to roll up her sleeves. "I've got it."

Ford hesitated in his movements, only walking backwards when Mackena had grabbed his shoulder. They watched from a distance as Evie manged to safely but all the wires and pull the landmine out of the ground. With a bright and reassuring smile, she ushered them over.

"And that's how a pro does it Ford." Mackena chuckled as he patted him on the back. Ford couldn't help but look at the women in awe, she was incredible.

Even though the bomb was fully disabled, all the wires cut so nothing was connected, they still held it like it could be live. That way they could make sure they all survived. Evie thought about how lucky they were that they found the bomb when they did otherwise someone could have stepped onto it. Ramon took the landmine out of her hands and smiled.

"Let's get this out of here." The older women exclaimed as she turned back to the group, walking slowly with the bomb.

"It's definitely not one of ours." Evie informed them loudly as she gathered her tool from the floor, not catching up with them.