03 | A Magic Trick

CHAPTER THREE : A MAGIC TRICK

"The advent of the nuclear age may have accelerated the mutation process." Charles explained as he looked at all the people in the small room. Evie was slouched in her chair opposite Moira, her lips resting on her fist which was rested on the arm chair. The agent was scribbling notes down about how nuclear war could interest Shaw however she didn't get very far with them. "Individuals with extraordinary abilities may already be among us. Thank you very much."

"MacTaggert, you really think that some crackpot scientist is gonna make me believe in sparkly dames and vanishing men?" The Senator questioned the women in disbelief which made Evie sigh. "You just brought yourself a one-way ticket back to the typing pool. This meeting is over." He demanded which made Evie and Moira stand up and gather their stuff.

However Charles has other ideas. "Please sit down, Agent MacTaggert, Agent Dalton." The women shared a look and did as the Englishman said. LI didn't really expect you to believe me, given that all you could think about during my presentation was what sort of pie they were serving in the commissary." Charles snapped. For a second he looked upwards and everyone waited to see what he was doing. "It's apple pecan."

Evie furrowed her brows at him, silently questioning what was going on. As if he could read her mind, Charles turned to her. "I haven't been entirely honest with you, love, I'm sorry." He apologised which made Evie stare at him in even more confusion. His attention moved from the brunette to the men in charge. "You see, one of the many spectacular things my mutation allows me to do is that I can read your mind."

The word mutation triggered something in Evie's mind. Subconsciously, she gripped her pen slightly tighter, her breath becoming slightly shallower, her mind racing slightly faster. He had a mutation, Charles Xavier had a mutation. That means she wasn't the only one. She quickly wiped a tear that had fallen down her face away.

"I've seen this before in a magic show." Agent Stryker laughed arrogantly as he looked at the Senator. "Are you gonna ask us to think of a number between one and ten now?"

"No, Agent Stryker." Charles replied, a bitter and sarcastic smile on his lips. "Although, I could ask you about your son, William, who you were thinking about, which is very nice. But I think I'd rather ask you about the Jupiter missiles America are currently placing in Turkey." With this information, Evie and Moira shared shocked looks, their mouths wide open in shock.

"He's a goddamn spy." The Senator screamed at the two women in anger. "You brought a goddamned spy into this facility!"

"I did not!" Moira shouted back, defending herself.

Without a second of hesitation, Charles' sister Raven stood up. Her pale skin turned a vibrant blue, her blonde locks turning ginger and her blue eyes turned yellow. In a second it, all changed back. The silence was only broken by Evie dropping her pen on the floor, her mouth hanging wide open.