18 | Battle of Jurisdiction

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN : BATTLE OF JURISDICTION

saigon 1973

It was the fact that Evie was on an airplane going back to Vietnam that made her uneasy. That place had so many bad memories yet here she was, going back ... voluntarily. The agency didn't know about the mission, let alone approved of it. She had heard through some sources that some of Trask's men were going to apprehend a group of mutants in the Military. Of course like any sane person would, she hopped on the first plane out.

So as she placed her sunglasses on her face and walked out into the sandy area, a sense of nostalgia filled her body. The glasses were pitch black, hiding her eyes and shielding them from the sand and sun. As much as she hated everything that had happened when she was in the Military, this place was a second home.

Her eyes followed the group of strange men, watching them carefully as they walked into a tent, black briefcases in hand. In anger, her eyes narrowed, following them without hesitation. Her black suit made her stand out, the pure heat of the sun beating down on her which caused her to roll up her sleeves.

Evie's attention was drawn away when a solider coughed awkwardly from next to her. She stopped just before the tent entrance and looked at him. "Where'd the unknown men go?" She asked him, authority in her voice which made the man quiver.

"Inside the tent Ma'am." The solider stuttered out, pointing to the tent behind him. Before Evie could walk in the solider called out to her again. "I don't think you should go in, they're infected." He warned her in worry.

The brunette couldn't control the small smile that grew on her face. "I'll take my chances solider." She told him with a nod. The man visibly relaxed before Evie pushed the door open and walked in.

"We're authorised to remand these men." She heard Major Stryker state harshly. This made her roll her eyes from behind her glasses.

"Actually that order has been reinstated." She cut in, placing her hands behind her back, stopping just inside the tent. All the eyes turned to her in shock, not noticing her walking in.

It was Alex who first recognised her. His friend hadn't changed in the eleven years that had past. She still looked authoritative, still held the mischievous smirk she used to wear. The only change was that she seemed more confident, seemed more sure in herself. Then it was Raven, even though she was disguised as a Colonel, it was like Evie had figured her out straight away.

"These men are going home," Evie continued, walking forward, glancing to all the mutants in the room, eyes landing on the solutions in the human's hands. "Isn't that right Colonel?"

The Colonel cleared his throat, blinking out of his shocked state. "Yes, it is."

"I don't believe you have jurisdiction in this matter." Stryker snapped, making Evie's smirk grow even wider. "Who are you?"