15 | Like Fireworks

CHAPTER FIFTEEN : LIKE FIREWORKS

The group turned and their eyes widened in horror. Floating out of the submarine was Shaw, dead and Erik following him. The retched helmet now on their friend's head and not the enemies. Evie's eyes fell to Charles' who was approaching the group. He looked scared. As she looked back to the flying mutant, she could only wonder what he had in store for them.

"Today our fighting stops!" Erik announced, showing off Shaw's body for everyone to see.

"Oh my god." Evie whispered, tears in her eyes from all the emotions raging in her head. Shaw's body dropped, hitting the floor like a rag doll. Erik lowered himself to the floor, looking to all the mutants on the beach.

"Take off your blinders, brothers and sisters. The real enemy is out there." He stated, pointing his finger to all the ships that were converging together. "I feel their guns moving in the water. Their metal, targeting us. Americans, Soviets, humans. United in their fear of the unknown. The Neanderthal is running scared, my fellow mutants!" He turned to the telepath who was now walking in time with him. "Go ahead, Charles. Tell me I'm wrong."

Charles' fingers dropped in horror, his breathing becoming uneven as he realised that Erik was right. Why did he have to be right? He looked to Moira, wordlessly telling her to go and stop them but Evie knew that it was too late. They were going to die.

In a flurry of explosions, missiles from all the ships, Russia or American, were fired. Evie's eyes widened at the sight. It was a full blown attack on the beach. It was now that she realised what fear could do to people.

The missiles soared towards them, none of the mutants moving because they were frozen with fear. From their place in the beach, it looked like the end of the world. Erik held his hand up and the missiles paused in the air, freezing only meters away from the sand. However, Erik didn't just let them fall. He turned them back around.

"Erik, you said it yourself. We're the better men. This is the time to prove it." Charles urged him, glancing back at the missiles and seeing them facing the ships. "There are thousands of men on those ships. Good, honest, innocent men. They're just following order." Charles practically begged his friend to stop, it was so clear.

Yet, it was also clear that Erik didn't care what Charles said, he had made up his mind long ago.

"I've been at the mercy of men just following orders." Erik responded, his eyes dead and full of anger. "Never again." Without a second of hesitation, the man sent the missiles flying back towards the humans.

"Erik release them!" Charles screamed at him in desperation.

Suddenly, Charles' words rang out in Evie's head. Something that she finally understood. "Detonate the grenade." She muttered to herself. What Charles meant was that she had to imagine a pin on something and in order to explode what she wanted, she had to think of it like a grenade.