|18| Speak the name of the Devil

Chapter 18: Speak the name of the Devil

__________________________________________

T/W: this chapters contains gore content and manic behaviour description.

_________________________________________

Taehyung flipped through the pages, his hands gripping the file.

He hummed softly, feeling dead stuck with no leads or witnesses to the case. The cool air in the laboratory sticking to his hands, as the stench of phenyl and other chemicals invaded his senses.

Taehyung certainly felt like he was going nowhere with the case. It had been weeks and there seemed no clearance, but more to that- Taehyung didnt want to bring himself to imagine how many people had already fallen for the lethal drug already.

There were clearly short on time and Taehyung's negative thoughts didnt help much with reducing his burden.

"Taehyung?" Jin's voice drawed in, snapping him out of his thoughts.

"Yeah?" Taehyung stood up.

"The samples we found in DongShin-gil is infact DrugD2. The chemical consistency hasn't changed even by a point percent so it's clear that those losers are still hell bent on selling the product regardless if its killing their clients. Psychopaths I tell you-" Jin sighed rolling his eyes.

"What Unit did we send there?" Taehyung muttered pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Unit2. I got in from Johnny" Jin replied, flicking his pen between his fingers.

Taehyung hummed in response, turning to leave before he heard another voice call his name out.

"Detective Kim"

Taehyung looked at the paper man who was looking at him.

"Yeah Dr. Min?" Taehyung asked, pausing to let the man resume with his talk.

"What is it about this case that stands out the most to you?" Yoongi asked, a rather confusing question, to which both Jin and Taehyung subconsciously admitted.

"Sorry?" Taehyung fully turned to face the Doctor.

"This case... the Drug.. what sparks your interest the most?" Yoongi repeated adjusting the glasses on his nose bridge.

"Well..." Taehyung paused pressing his fingers to his chin "I suppose the drug?"

"What about the guys you saw at the site when they were relocating the drug?" Yoongi prodded further, his dark eyes filled with curiosity that slightly alarmed Taehyung.

The Detective recovered his senses and quickly shook his head in denial "I doubt that... now that I think about it, they merely seemed to be the local mediators. The one who ran the operation or the one who created the drug were definietly not around- it would be highly unlikely for them to be on relocation site. It's too much exposure and for a drug like this- it would definietly be their bad pick if they'd reveal their faces to local thugs and workers."

Yoongi hummed lightly, pressing his hands behind his back "quite right"

"Exposure would certainly be dangerous to them..." Yoongi paused, as he locked his eyes with Taehyung's "but... have you thought about competition?"

Silence caved into the room.

It was too quiet that Taehyung swore he could feel his own heartbeat in his ears.

Like a needle slamming against the tiled floor.

Taehyung's eyes widened on hearing Yoongi's response.