Chapter 69

HANNAH

I kept on staring out the window inside the cab as the rain kept on pouring heavily.

I felt something wet on my cheek.

Instinctively, I wiped it with my hand.

Did this drip from the roof of the cab?

I idiotically thought, as I looked up.

Ahh! Who am I kidding?!

Without even noticing it, my tears started pouring together with the rain.

My heart throbbed as I question myself.

This was not how I handle things.

This was not the real Hannah.

This was not the Nicholas I know.

What happened to us?

I can never let my pride get in the way.

I cannot leave without telling him everything.

At the very least, he deserves the truth.

He deserves to know how I felt, and still feel.

Without hesitation, I told the driver an address that I stumbled on when I went out walking the other day.

Before I knew it, I was in front of this building that has a very cold grey exterior which highly contrasted with the warm homey southern type balcony complete with swings at the front.

I liked how ambivalent the decorating ideas of the person that owns this place.

I was just hoping he was not ambivalent with his feelings as well.

I did not even bother to open my umbrella when I stepped out of the cab door after I paid the driver.

I cannot wait another second.

I cannot be distracted with this mission as if my life depended on it.

And then there I was, I found myself standing in front of his door.

I formed a fist to start rapping on the oak wood even though I know my mind was blank.

Hold on! I stopped my fist midway...

What will I tell him?

Should I start it with a courteous 'hello' or should I be aggressive and shout my undeniable feelings for him?

Ahh! Bahala na si Batman!

Nervousness aside, I was about to deliver a loud brave knock when the door creaked slightly open.

Uhm?! Somebody must have forgotten to lock it? I dunno.

With built up courage, I went inside and called for someone.

"Hello?" I said softly at first.

Nobody answered but I heard a voice humming at the left room. Must be the kitchen since I heard the exhaust's whirring sound.

I mustered up my courage even more and stepped inside further.

"Hello." I said a little louder this time. Still nobody answered.

I went inside his house fully.

I was about to walk inside the left side space when vibrant colours caught my attention in one of the rooms on the right.

It was barely visible behind the closed French double doors but for some reason it was beckoning me to take a peek.

I gingerly walked to that side while clutching tightly the hand-carry bag with my right hand and the umbrella on my left.

I pushed the doors to open and they broadly welcomed me in a magnificent room.

Wow!

My eyes sparkled with the amount of rainbow colours that I witnessed.

I did not even notice that my jacket was dripping all over the wooden floor or that I dragged my wet umbrella and bag in for I was mesmerized the moment I opened the French doors.

What I saw surprised and at the same time delighted my aching heart.

I saw my time with Nicholas.

The memories of our time together since we were in our younger days were reflected on oil and a gigantic mural canvas straight to this room's walls.

The first time we met at the schoolyard, the first time he beat me in the art competition, the time when we graduated high school, how I was buying my bread in their bakeshop and even the time we spent in Florence.

And then it began again.

It started with one wet trickle.

My tears then did not stop flowing.

Oh heck, I was crying a river.

Although I know I was crying not because of sadness but because I was so happy.

I am happy.

The wetness that was cradled in my eyes were substituted with wonder and amazement that reached all the way to my aching heart like a balm.

Thereafter, an old lady touched my arm and started asking me questions in Italian. She asked on how I got here and why I should not be here.

But I cannot hear or see her.

For I was blinded by the tears that had been appearing one after another on my eyes and was deaf from the drum-like beating of my heart.

Until I heard his voice...

"Why are you here, Hannah?"