Chapter 39

NICHOLAS

This is really not a happy day.

I finished my morning classes, barely.

I cannot comprehend a gazilion questions my students have asked me and my body was overloaded with tons of coffee.

I cannot concentrate since I kept on looking at my cellphone for any calls.

Nothing. Nada. Zero.

What is she doing?

I stopped myself several times to call her.

She was the one who hung up on me.

She has to call me first.

Man pride.

I did not have the capacity to ride my bike so I just used the public transport.

I was walking to the nearest bus stop and saw my favorite pretzel stand.

I cannot help myself but to pig out.

Ordering two right away, I dipped them in mustard and saw a dolop of the sauce fall on top of my shoes.

Not again!

I kicked the shoe to the closest solid object I can find as I tried to shake the mustard off and balance my food with my hands.

"So that's why your shoes are all scuffed out!" I heard a familiar voice right across from me.

I searched for it and saw her laughing.

I looked at her slyly.

I rubbed my eyes to see if she was not a hallucination, a figment of my imagination.

Because nowadays, I cannot even differentiate which are real from my stupid daydreams that kept on replicating in numbers every millisecond.

She was quite a looker with her hair in a ponytail and face looking refreshed with minimal to no make up at all.

She was wearing skinny jeans and a simple v-neck tee. She looked like a college student.

I, on the other hand, looked like an old craggy guy with a 5 o'clock shadow since I did not have the strenght to shave this morning.

My shirt was all lousily tucked from my supposed effort of looking professional. And I think my socks did not match.

"What are you doing here?" I asked too aggressively.

"Waiting for you." She simply stated as she smiled.

She walked closer to me and got a couple of napkins from the stand at the same time.

"You got something on your face." She said as she moved in closer to me.

She then wiped the side of my lips with the napkins. "There! Now I can see you better.", as she bit on her bottom lip.

Oh jeez! Stop that!

Is she seducing me?

Those were all I could think of as I look closer into her smiling eyes.

"Are you done with that?" She asked pointing at my food. "I have not had lunch yet."

"This is my lunch." I said sternly.

I will not let her get away with what she did last night.

I am not that easy.

She has to work for it before I forgive her.

"Really?!" She said. "Then share it with me."

She demanded as she yanked my other pretzel and ate it for herself.

"Hmm, I can see why you like this. It's really good. Sarap!"

I looked at her in bewilderment.

This girl really is something.

Here she is bullying me and stealing my food and yet I can never get mad at her.

As we finished our pretzels, we ordered something to drink from a deli not far away.

I got my big cup of caffeine, my 6th one for the day, and she got herself some hot cocoa.

I learned that she does not drink coffee, only tea and chocolate.

She is really a bag of mysteries to me.

As we walked along the streets, our hands kept on bumping on each other.

She suddenly intertwined her fingers with mine.

"This should solve the problem." She cheerily said.

So we walked hand in hand, I think I would die from happiness.

But hold on, she still had not answered all of my questions.

We travelled companionably in silence as she took in all the wonders of art and architecture.

She took pictures with her camera as she enjoyed the sights.

She suddenly took out her phone and told me to move in closer to her face.

I looked at her in surprise and then she said, "1...2...3...smile."

The outcome looked like I was kissing her cheek while she looked straight.

She giggled.

I told her to erase it.

But she laughed and ran away.

I ran after her as we both stumbled and the grass cushioned our fall.

She was still giggling, and I looked at her with a frown on my face.

Our position was so provocative, me on top of her.

Then she noticed my serious face and that stifled her laugh, she's biting her lower lip again.

Stop seducing me. I felt so hot in here, I think I might combust.

I also can't think straight and my brain turns to mush if you keep on doing that, I wanted to shout.

Instead I asked her, "Why did you hang up on me?"