Chapter 12.1

(Flashback)

It is funny to think what he was back then in elementary and high school.

He used to love being in front of large crowds and people.

He used to like making fun of me and my artworks saying they were nothing compared to what he had.

We never have a truce since I think that I could beat him.

Then when I laid-low in the art scene during high school, I noticed that he was slowly separating from my social circle.

He had made new friends and we lost all the possibility to contact or more like banter each other like we used to.

There was one moment that made me think what had really transpired between the two of us.

I specifically remembered that day when Mr. Garcia, our art teacher, had started an art club and was looking for members by a form of audition.

Of course, Nicholas was the first one to join as well as his other buddies.

I was busy finding interest in photojournalism those days that I never even had time to attend that event.

As school ended that day, I was approached by him as I was putting my Olympus in the bag.

I did not notice him coming in the newspaper club room as he suddenly grabbed my left arm as I shrieked, "Why didn't you go?" I looked at him baffled as to what he was saying.

Keep in mind that I have not talked to him for such a long time, and this is how he approached me?

"Huh? What do you mean?" I said in bewilderment.

"The art audition!" He yelled as if that explained everything.

"What about it?" I said thoughtfully.

"I was waiting..." He stuttered. " I mean, everybody was expecting you to be the first one to show up and audition."

He was blushing.

Weird.

"Oh!" I said as everything was dawning on me.

"Well, I did not plan on coming." I answered.

"Did you see my name on the list? I'm pretty sure I did not write it there." I plainly said still confused on why he was beet red.

"Plus, I was busy covering the mathletes." I continued.

"That provincial competition was fantastic." I was still reliving that climactic ending between the two finalists.

As my gaze wandered to the window, I suddenly took my umbrella out from my bag as an afterthought.

The sky was cloudy since this morning, it might rain soon.

As I zipped my bag and started walking out of the room, I heard him mumble.

He does that a lot back then, I wonder if he still mumbles now?

But I did not catch what he said.

So I asked him.

"What did you say?" I said nonchalantly.

"Nothing." He answered forcefully.

He was fuming.

I wonder why?

He quickly ran out of the room as I stared at his back fading slowly from my sight.

At that moment, I suddenly felt a painful twitch in my chest and all I can think about back then was that I might need to see the doctor.

(End of Flashback)