Chapter 29

NICHOLAS

Okay.

This might be wrong.

She has a boyfriend.

She's already taken, and yet I'm having a "date"...

...alright...

...dinner with her.

I've taken her to my favorite pasta house near the Piazza Giuseppe where the night view is spectacular and the food was gastronomically excellent.

Plus, we can be casual.

Nico, think that this is a reunion between the two of you, between a classmate that you have not seen for a long time.

A classmate that you want to marry and have dinner...

...probably lunch....

...and breakfast with for the rest of your life.

Control yourself! Mantra! Ohmm!

"Did you say something?" She asked as she touched my arm suddenly.

"Nothing." I said as we continued to walk towards the restaurant.

I walked ahead of her in order for her hand to slide naturally off my arm.

I just cannot think straight whenever she touches me.

As we got in, we were welcomed by the owner Alberto right away.

He knows I'm a regular in here.

"Ciao Nico, come stai?" He asked as he hugged me like a long lost brother.

"Bene, Alberto." I said as we said our greetings.

"And who is this lovely lady?" He asked in Italian.

"Is she your girlfriend?" He said in amazement.

"No..." I was about to continue when Alberto yelled in the kitchen.

"Hey Ma! Nico brought his girlfriend over. Come out and meet her." He said it so loud that most of the patrons looked at me smiling.

Good thing it was almost closing time so there were only a few of them.

The even more good news was that Hannah did not understand a thing since they were all in Italian...I hope.

"Nicholas, what are they saying?" she said confused yet smiling at the same time.

"Er, he...uhmm..." I scratched my head as I tried to explain what was going on.

"Where is she?" Giussepina, Alberto's mother came out of the kitchen hurriedly as she was wiping her hands on her ruffled apron.

When this short motherly-like old lady saw Hannah, she started doing these little rapid clapping that you see women do when they are so excited to buy something from a store.

"Figlio, she's beautiful. Perfect for you." She said as she continued to look at the lady on my side from head to toe.

I hope Hannah was not taking this the wrong way, I prayed silently.

"What is her name?" The old lady asked me as she continued to hold Hannah's hands.

And like a good sport, she just kept on smiling the whole time still looking utterly confused yet curious as well to what's going on.

"Hannah." I said as I gestured my hand for proper introduction.

"Hannah." Giussepina and Alberto said at the same time as they tested the name.

There was a pregnant pause.

"Hannah!" Mother and son looked at each other and said at the same time.

They remembered.

I knew this will happen.

Why did I bring her here in the first place?

It was because you want her to know your way of life and where you hangout, stupid.

My subconscious answered back as it tried to smack my head to wake me up.

"Isn't she the girl you have been waiting for since your younger days, bro?" Alberto said as he slapped my shoulder.

"Isn't she the reason why you always drown yourself in coffee and gelato every night during those few years?" Giussepina asked as she held on my arm with her left hand and held on Hannah's arm at the other.

I sighed.

What was up with all these drama in this world?

Was the universe cosmically aligned to play a trick on me?

"Si." I answered yes.

And they both gasped, simultaneously.

Seriously, anybody can tell they really are related.

"But don't tell her anything." I begged in Italian.

My facial features remained undisturbed and normal so she will not know what's going on.

Mother and son duo looked at Hannah and I.

They nodded.

My girl, on the other hand, just kept on smiling.