Chapter 38

HANNAH

I ate my food with gusto.

I am currently having breakfast with my brother and sister-in-law.

They were knocking at my door at exactly 7am asking if I want to eat with them at the bistro that was just around the corner.

I nodded eagerly since I was quite hungry.

"Slow down lil' sis. Your stomach needs time to digest. It's not going away." Kuya Francis said as he watched in amazement my ravenous appetite.

"How could a body like that remain so skinny even after eating lots remains a mystery to me." Ate Julia said in agreement as I see her look down at her tummy.

"Aww hon, you still look as beautiful as the first time I've seen you. Plus, those are not fat, they are mementos of how we made something special." He said lovingly as he held Ate Julia's hand.

"So you're literally telling me that these are belly fat post pregnancy." She said matter-of-factly.

"Sheesh! You have no romantic inkling." Kuya Francis said.

"Lawyers." He muttered indicating Ate Julia's and my older sister, Gerry's, occupation.

I laughed as I continued to bite on to my croissant. "How is Jessica anyways?" I mentioned their 5 year old kid.

Both of their eyes lit up.

"She's loving kindergarten." Ate Julia started.

"She can speak and write French so fluently. Even better than someone I know..." She said glancing at my brother.

"Hey!" He said knowingly.

"I can speak the language too, you know." He defended.

"She can also speak Filipino and English." My brother said proudly.

"She's with her grandma, Julia's mom, right now. We can't bring kids during the event. Well, not yet anyways." He said with a lilting tone.

He sincerely misses my niece.

"Is she still drawing?" I asked.

Last time I visited them, Jessica was three and she can draw a full figure, not those stick men.

"Yup! And they are getting better and better." The proud papa boasted.

I smiled. "Maybe I'll visit you more next year."

"I bet you'll visit Europe more for a very long time." He suddenly said.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Ate Julia slapped his thighs.

I did not perceive anything about this since I was just happy.

This is going to be a happy day.