Chapter 26

In the early morning Link and Zelda traveled through the hills to get to Akkala Ancient Tech Lab. The sun was rising over the sea to their right and illuminated the flards of fog floating above the land.
     The journey was rather uneventful and soon they reached the Akkala East Stable, where they took a brief break.
     Link stood back and watched as Zelda socialized with a few of the locals. He smiled to himself as he saw her talking and laughing. She looked so carefree and genuienly interested in people. It was like she was born for this kind of thing.
     Eventually he figured they had waited long enough and he gently pulled her away from the people surrounding her. He smiled as he mounted Epona and turned her head in the right direction. 'We're nearly there. I'm sure Robbie has been dying to see you again.'
     Zelda's face lit up as she nodded. 'Let's go then.'
     The sound of their horses trotting on hard earth made wildlife around them scatter and off in the distance they could already see the smoke rising from the chimney, indicating someone was home.
     When the Tech Lab came into view, Zelda looked at it with big eyes. What once was a normal light tower now looked like half a ruin, with all kinds of constructions built on top. She grinned at the sight of the giant telescope protruding from the side and nodded, as if it was perfectly logical.
     Link smiled and took care of their horses, while Zelda walked around and studied the blue flames and some of the stray Guardian parts.
     'He doesn't seem to have changed at all,' she smiled up at Link, from where she was crouching. 'It's just as messy as I remember.'
     'You should see what he has done with the place. He sure has kept busy the last 100 years.' Link said, as he walked towards the door. When Zelda followed he knocked once and held it open for her.
     Immediately after entering Link could see the spark of excitement in Zelda's eyes, as she noticed Cherry standing right before her.
Before she could comment however, they were greeted by the tiny, chaotic Sheikah professor.
     'My, my! If it isn't Princess Zelda, at last. I've been waiting for you!' He smiled and spread his arms. 'Welcome! How are you doing?'
     'Robbie!' She exclaimed. 'It is so good to see you! You look great.' She gave him a broad smile, before briefly hugging him. 'I'm good. Glad that it's finally over.' She stepped back and looked at him, still smiling. 'Link told me you have kept yourself busy. I sure like what you've done to this place.' She chuckled, looking around at the mess of books and drawings along the walls.
     Robbie beamed up at her. 'I knew I had to keep working. I was certain that Link would return and free you from that castle, so he would need all the help he could get. It's been some busy years.' He turned to the side, where a younger Sheikah woman stood politely waiting. 'Let me introduce you to Jerrin, my wife.' Robbie smiled, extending his arm for her to come closer.
     Zelda looked a little surprised, but smiled friendly at the woman. 'It's nice to meet you. I never knew Robbie was one to marry.' She chuckled.
     'It's nice to meet you too, Princess,' the woman said, politely bending her head down. 'Robbie has told me so much about you. Purah too. I used to work for her for some years before I came here.'
     Zelda raised her eyebrows in surprise. 'You did? Why did you leave?'
     Jerrin chuckled. 'I believe she mostly found me to be rather annoying and useless. She sent me back to Kakariko Village, where Impa told me to go here. I never left again,' she said shyly, looking over at Robbie.
     'And I'm glad she came,' Robbie added. 'She helped me build this machine,' he said, gesturing towards the robot built from the Sheikah Stone. 'I call it...' he looked a little pained, before he put his smile back on his face. 'The Ancient Oven.'
     Zelda nodded and turned towards the machine, instantly serious and interested. She studied it and then looked back at Robbie. 'It looks great. Can you explain it to me?'
     Robbie enthusiastically nodded, stepping closer and starting to ramble off on how they built it and what kind of mechanisms he had used.
     Link quickly lost track of the conversation and fell back a little, looking around the room for a bit. Just as he was flipping through a very old book that lay open on one of the desks, he noticed Jerrin coming to stand beside him.
     'She is kinder than I had imagined,' she simply said.
     Link looked at her and gave her a small smile. 'She is incredibly kind. It truly is a shame that most people in the kingdom don't know her. She sacrificed so much for them, but they don't realize.'
     Jerrin nodded. 'Of course we can't turn back time, but we can make sure people will have a princess again. They will get to know her.'
     Link turned to face her completely now and dragged his hand through his hair. 'It will come. I could already see the effect she had on people we have met until now. She will win everyone's heart, I know it.'
     Jerrin smiled knowingly. 'Like she won yours?'
Link felt a slight blush rise on his cheeks, as he turned away. 'She is a great princess and I admire her for that, that's all.'
The Sheikah now raised her eyebrows. 'Look, it's your business and I won't get all up in it, but if you want to keep your feelings for her a secret, then you should stop staring at her like that.'
Link frowned at her. 'Like what?'
'All loving and caring, with that smile on your face,' Jerrin said. 'Most people might not really know her, but you have made quite an impression on the kingdom. A lot of people know you. And everyone who does, can see it on your face. That...' she smirked. 'Admiration.'
Link turned and looked at where Robbie and Zelda were hunched over the Ancient Oven. He wondered if it was really that clear. He always thought he could keep his feelings well hidden. But as he looked he saw Zelda's face light up, as she let out a chuckle. He smiled to himself at the beautiful sound and instantly cursed himself.
He turned his gaze back at Jerrin and saw her expression, eyebrows raised, a smirk on her lips. Without saying it, she made her thoughts very clear. I told you so.
He scoffed. 'Okay, fine. You might be right. But how am I supposed to hide it? It wouldn't feel fair to her.'
'You don't have to,' Jerrin kindly said, placing her hand on his shoulder. 'Nobody should have to hide their feelings. I think most people in this kingdom would say you deserve to be happy. After everything you have done for them.'
Link slowly nodded. 'I just don't want to compromise her image in any way.'
'I don't think you would. From what I have seen you are both strong and independent. You both know what you want and you go after your goals.' She smiled kindly at him. 'I think there wouldn't be a more fitting relationship.'
Link nodded and gave her a small smile back, but before he could say anything, they were interrupted by Zelda and Robbie waving them over.
'Purah has contacted me a little while ago,' Robbie started, as soon as they caught up. 'She told me about your... sudden departure.' He quickly looked between Zelda and Link, the question clear on his face.
'She left a message for you two, one she wasn't able to tell you in person. She seemed to be certain you would show up here eventually and asked me to contact her if you did. I don't know what happened over in Hateno, but she sure seemed concerned.' He shot them both another curious glance.
Link looked down in shame, before looking through his eyelashes at Zelda. She seemed just as uncomfortable as he felt.
'Well,' Robbie said, seeming to sense the awkward tension and reaching inside his tunic. 'Here you go.' He handed Zelda a letter.
She smiled in thanks and unfolded it, stepping closer to Link so he could read over her shoulder.