Chapter 22

Link and Zelda spent the entire day roaming through the Divine Beast. It was less hot inside, enabling them to have a short relief and take off their heavy armour.
Before they went in, Yunobo had said his goodbyes and made his way back down the mountain. He told them he would be back in two days, to help them down the mountain again.
Link had thanked him and received a big Goron hug in return, together with a broad grin. Before Yunobo had broken away, however, he had whispered loudly into Links ear: 'She is really pretty.'
Link had chuckled and nodded, casting a glance in her direction. It was obvious that she tried her best to look interested in some rocks near her feet, but she had definitely heard. The Goron wasn't exactly subtle in his whispering.
But now they were alone again, in the silence of the giant machine. Off in the distance, very faint, they could hear the wind and an occasional rumble of the volcano, but everything else was dead silent.
The entire machine had died down, every moving or mechanical part had frozen in place. Something about the enormity of the rooms and the eery silence made it feel a little menacing.
Link definitely made sure not to lose Zelda from his sight, despite being able to hear exactly where she went. He couldn't be too sure, with this unfamiliar place.
While the princess was investigating the designs of the First Terminal, Link set up camp not far from her. As long as they stayed inside they could sleep without the intense heat, something they were both eager to do.
A fire wasn't needed, so they ate fresh fruit and vegetables with smoked meat, which tasted fine.
Because of Yunobo they had plenty of supplies, considering they hadn't had to drag it all up. The Goron just took a bag with him in the canon and landed it on the top of the mountain.
Link was grateful for the help of the young Goron. When they first met he had been timid and insecure, but he had slowly evolved into a fine young man and great friend.
No matter how much he liked his friend, though, he was glad to have some time alone with Zelda. She seemed a little off. Her mind was far away and sometimes she didn't even answer Link when he asked her a question.
When he was done laying out their sleeping gear, he walked up to her and put his arm around her waist, pulling her close to his side.
She didn't look at him, her eyes focused on the Sheikah designs, but he could see a smile forming on her lips.
Before she could tell him that she was busy, he leaned in and placed a soft kiss on her lips.
When he slowly pulled back, he could hear her exhaling softly, before finally looking him in the eye. The most beautiful smile decorated her face and Link felt his heart flutter.
'What was that for?' She asked, amusement clear in her voice.
'Just because. You're beautiful and I've been dying to do that.' Link smiled and intertwined his fingers behind her back.
Zelda's cheeks flushed a little as she put her hands on his shoulders.
For a while neither of them spoke, as they were just looking at each other. Link bit his lip as he took it all in. She was truly the cutest person he had ever met.
     Eventually Zelda pulled him closer and kissed him again, taking him by surprise.
     It was a soft, lingering kiss, which made Links insides turn to mush.
     Gradually they became more passionate, getting more heated and exploring each other more.
     Links hand roamed up and down her back, while Zelda softly tugged at his hair, her hands buried in it.
     When Zelda let out a soft, almost inaudible moan, Link felt like his knees would give in. He gently pulled back and looked at her, his chest rising and falling in the rhythm of his panting.
     Zelda too was panting slightly, her cheeks flushed bright red and the sweetest smile on her lips.
     'Wow,' he whispered, extracting a chuckle from her.
     'Indeed,' she said. 'Wow.'
     They now both laughed aloud, breaking the rising tension between them.
     'We should really continue, though,' Zelda said, averting her eyes.
     Link could tell she was torn on the inside between wanting to do her research and not wanting to break this moment, but he understood.
     'Yeah,' he said, untangling his arms from around her. But before she could turn back towards the machines, he softly grabbed her face in both hands and kissed her forehead.
     As he turned away he could just see her beaming smile and her glimmering eyes. It took everything in him not to look back at her and keep his attention to the pedestal. She was so damn perfect.