Chapter 54

It was a very messy battle.
The monsters weren't very skilled in their fighting techniques, but there were many of them.
Link had jumped in the middle of a horde, all now focused on removing this invader from their terrain, while his companions seemed to have disappeared somehow.
Clubs and swords were swinging at him from all sides, and Link was busy ducking and rolling to avoid getting cut in half, all the while trying to swing back at them.
Finally, he stumbled into a small clearing, where a group of Zora stood in half a circle, protecting each others sides as they skilfully handled their spears.
The knight took a few moments to regain his breath, until he spotted something that made him forget about his troubles.
A black Hinox was stomping heavily on the ground, its one eye fixed on their small group, as it pushed its way towards them.
A few Bokoblins were unlucky enough to get trampled under the giant feet, but nobody seemed to care.
With a quick glance around Link knew that these Zora would barely stand a chance against this monstrosity.
And so, he tightened the grip on his sword and made a run for it, zigzagging his way through the monsters, aiming for the Hinox.
He ducked under a sword aimed for his head and then suddenly stood facing two legs, thick as tree trunks.
The monster had not seen him yet, still plowing his way towards the group of attackers, so Link quickly pulled out his bow.
He nocked three arrows at once, and let them fly straight into the face high above him.
Two of them disappeared completely into the soft eye, the third got stuck in its pig-like nose.
Without waiting to see the result, Link had already fired two more arrows, one striking an ear, as the other bounced of the thick skin of its head.
The Hinox screeched in pain, and immediately covered its face with both hands, now blind to any further attacks.
As fast as he could Link ran forward and grabbed a hold of the wooden plates that coated its legs, climbing swiftly up its massive body.
When he reached the blubbering mass of fat that coated its belly, Link got hold of a spear that was dangling from its necklace, and pulled himself up until he was sitting on the shoulders.
All the while the Hinox had been blindly stamping around, not even noticing the weight of the knight in its pain and panic.
In the corner of his eye Link could see a group of Zora trying to tackle the Stone Talus, as they swarmed around it and poked their spears up at the colossus.
He stopped for a moment to see a Zora jump up and hit his spear on solid rock, before he was aggressively swatted away by a giant arm, making him fly through the air and land heavily in the grass.
Link gasped in shock, hoping the guy would be okay, but before he could even think twice about it, he was sent flying himself.
Time seemed to slow down, and it took him a while to realize that the Hinox had thrown him off its shoulder, finally having noticed the threat of the knight.
With a blow that knocked all air out of him Link hit the ground, and time suddenly sped up again.
Still groaning in pain, he quickly rolled over, out of the way of the giant foot that was coming his way.
He had dropped his bow, but his sword was safely sheathed, and he quickly drew it out.
With a glance upwards he noticed the blood seeping from the one eye, and did something rather impulsive.
He threw his sword.
The blade spun through the air, glistening in the sun, and both Link and the Hinox stared after it in wonder.
Then the flat of the blade thumped against its massive forehead, and fell dead to the ground.

For a moment Link stared at the blade, completely stunned as it occurred to him that he was now unarmed.
     The following moment he ran forward, jumping as high as he could, and again climbing his way up the Hinox, which was trying to swat him away with its massive, cumbersome fists.
     Link clung to the necklace for dear life with one hand, clenching his jaw stubbornly, while his other hand groped for the spear dangling from it.
     Finally he got a proper hold on it, and he tugged as hard as he could.
     When it suddenly came loose he almost fell backwards off the monster, but with one hand and pure stubbornness, he held on and got to his feet.
     Link yelled angrily, as he drove the sharp point deep into the eye, putting all his weight behind it.
     The Hinox screeched loudly, but that came to an abrupt end when the spear reached its brain and it got quiet.
     That silence did not last, though, for it was soon interrupted by a new sound. The blasting of a horn.