Chapter 73

'How are you?'
The question came out of nowhere, and Zelda looked at him in confusion.
Link sat up straight in his saddle, having resumed his natural ease of horse riding. His bright blue eyes rested on her, with an open, honest expression on his face.
'I'm fine,' she muttered, frowning slightly.
'We haven't talked much,' Link said, with a strange tone in his voice. Regret maybe?
'I'm sorry.' She looked down at her saddle, feeling genuinely guilty for being so busy.
'Don't be,' he said. 'It's just...' he chuckled a little awkwardly. 'I miss you.'
Zelda's heart fluttered at those words, and she couldn't hold back a smile. 'I miss you too, Link.' She looked at him, trying to show him how much she meant it.
He nodded. His eyes drifted towards the horizon, before coming back to her. 'Are you really alright?'
She felt a jolt of deep guilt go through her, something that had become quite familiar to her, never far out of reach.
He knew. Somehow he had understood what she was going through. And it only made her love him more.
Not once had he praised her for her actions in battle. Not once had he asked for the details. He respected her silence, and knew what it meant. It just showed how well he really knew her.
     And now he offered her a chance to talk to him. Just him.
She took a deep, shuddering breath. 'No,' she then said. 'No, I'm not really alright.'
He just nodded, his eyes full of understanding and support.
'I...' She nervously licked her lips. She hadn't said it out loud before, and always hoped she would never have to. 'I killed him.' It was hardly more than a whisper.
Link simply reached out and grabbed her hand, squeezing gently.
He didn't try to give her excuses, or to make it right. It wasn't right, and nothing would make it so. But he was there.
'I'm sorry you had to,' he eventually said. 'But I'm not sorry you did.' He looked at her, an apologetic smile on his lips.
Zelda looked back. It was like getting punched in the face by his raw emotions, and she knew what he didn't say.
     It could've been her.
     She sighed. It was done. It was over. She couldn't turn back time, and she would have to live with her guilt forever, but at least she got to live. And she got to live with him.
     They rode a few more minutes in silence, as she sneaked a few glances at him. She had never met anyone so brave, so loyal. He was kind and honest, with a big heart and even bigger skills, and he was hers.
     She set her jaw, making up her mind. She would enjoy her time with him, and not waste it on the regrets of her past.
With a loud yell she spurred on her horse, riding through the high grass at full speed. The wind whipped at her hair, and it felt like all thoughts were blown out of her head, leaving only freedom.
     Somewhere behind her she heard a surprised laugh, and she couldn't help but smile.
     Link started to chase her down, and the tension and adrenaline coursing through her body made her laugh out loud.
     She let all her emotions fall off of her, dancing away in the wind, while she laughed with Link coming up beside her, full of joy.
She had forgotten what it was like to feel free and unbothered by the weight of the world on her shoulders. Only now did she realize just how much she had missed this.

When they came upon the grassy shores of Lake Kolomo, Zelda noticed a particular tree, larger than most others, which reminded her of something from long ago.
She quickly glanced at Link, and found him smiling at the spot himself.
'You remember?' She asked, almost afraid to hope.
He nodded. 'I remember a certain someone trying to have me eat a frog,' he laughed, his eyes shining with joy.
Zelda laughed, more than a little relieved to share the memory. She still wasn't used to him actually remembering things, and was always on guard when bringing up the past.
Luckily, he seemed to be coping very well, and smiled broadly as they rode on through the trees.
The hooves of their horses splashed loudly through the shallow water, rounding the banks of the lake and up the slope again.
When they arrived at a large stone seemingly protruding from the earth, Link stopped and dismounted. He smiled up at her as he extended his hand to help her down.
'I figured we could have a small picnic here,' he said, gesturing around him to the grassy slopes, the trees, the water and the mountains in the distance.
It was a beautiful place, and quiet.
'I would love to,' Zelda said, unable to keep a smile from her face.
     With practiced skill Link built a small fire, then sat down with his back against the rock, looking out over the landscape.
     He sighed softly and dropped his head back, and Zelda sat down beside him, watching him closely.
     'You're tired.'
     He nodded, his eyes half closed.
     'That's okay,' she said, taking his hand in hers. 'You're still recovering. Take your time.'
     He smiled at her, gently squeezing her fingers, before fully closing his eyes. 'Just a few minutes.'
Zelda nodded, even though he couldn't see, and leaned back against the rough stone. Might as well get comfortable too.