Chapter 72

Link had lost all track of time.
He slept a lot, always feeling tired, unable to stay awake for long.
His dreams were full of memories long forgotten, or images of more recent events.
Zelda was present in almost all of them, as a faraway princess, a friend, an employer, a lover. He never knew what memory he would fall into, but he didn't mind.
He was remembering.
Even though they were dreams, he knew they were so much more than that.
Sometimes, though, he would have nightmares.
He had to relive the horrible pain, even now his body seemed to be beating the burning in his veins. He would dream of being consumed by fire, of seeing the world around him go up in flames, and his body would remember.
Every time when he woke up screaming, fully convinced that the blazing fire had taken control of him again, he would find Zelda there with him.
She would hold his hand, dab his sweaty forehead with a wet cloth, and offer him water. She took care of him, without ever asking anything in return.
Not that he had much to give.
His body was exhausted. He could barely hold up his head. As soon as he woke up he would long for the peaceful bliss of sleep.
But he stayed awake. For her.
She reminded him of the life he had. Of the world outside of his body, out of his mind.
There was a world out there where he wouldn't have to feel the pain and the fear. There was lightness that could drive away that all-consuming, burning darkness.
If only he could get his brain to do what he wanted.
He was sick of the nightmares, of the dreams. He was even sicker of the moments in between.
There was still a hint of the burning pain, always close, always lurking.
When he wasn't sleeping or awake, it would creep in, consuming him, driving him crazy.
He knew it wasn't real. He wasn't truly burning alive. He kept reminding himself that he was in a bed, he was safe. Zelda was with him.
He didn't want to hurt her. He knew how awful she felt, having to watch those moments where the pain was just too much, when he would be squirming on his bed to try and get out of his skin.
He knew it took a toll on her. He had seen it in her face.
She was always pale, her eyes full of grief and sorrow. She was getting way too thin, neglecting her body while taking care of his. The scabs and bruises on her body stood out dark and terrible against her bleak skin.
He hated to see her like this. It was his fault. But there was nothing he could do. He was locked in his own mind, always trying to push back the pain, keeping it at bay.
But he would get back to her. No matter what it cost him. He would fight.

'Are you sure this is a good idea?'
Link slowly opened his eyes, awoken by voices in the tent.
'Something has to change.' Zelda's voice. 'He needs to get out.'
'What if he has a fit?' Riju's voice, sounding worried.
'We'll keep him safe. We can always go back.'
A sigh. 'Fine. Let's go then.'
There was some shuffling, and suddenly the large shape of Yunobo appeared in his line of vision.
The Goron saw him looking and smiled broadly. 'He's awake,' he called over his shoulder.
Within half a second Zelda was beside him, carefully looking him over, her hand on his head.
'How are you feeling?' She asked quietly.
'Thirsty,' Link smiled. 'Tired.'
Zelda nodded absentmindedly, already putting a flask against his lips.
To his surprise his hands were already untied, and he took it over from her, drinking deeply.
'What's going on?' He asked when he was finished. He looked aside, noticing Riju, together with Reeza and Teba, standing in the tent's entrance.
Zelda smiled down on him. 'We wanted to take you outside. It's a beautiful day, and I figured you'd like to get some fresh air.'
Link nodded, excited by the prospect of leaving this boring tent.
Zelda smiled lovingly, stepping back to give Yunobo more room, but never letting go of his hand.
The large Goron carefully lifted Link from his bed and carried him towards the entrance, as the others scurried to make room.
For a second he was blinded by the sudden light, and a shudder went through him when he felt the hot, stinging rays of the sun, reminding him a little too much of the burning fire in his veins.
Zelda's grip on his hand tightened, and he squeezed back weakly.
Yunobo put him down on a comfortable chair, and he had to bite back a wave of nausea, before opening his eyes.
They slowly adjusted to the daylight, and he looked out over the plains of Castle Town.
There was no longer any sign of the battle that had been fought there, or the vast emptiness it had been before. Instead it was crawling with life, as people crisscrossed all over the terrain.
Multiple buildings were being constructed at the Central Square, and it was a bustling business of people coming and going, apparently each one of them with a specific task to perform.
Livestock was grazing inside a pen near the far wall, and some children were playing a game on the open terrain in front of it.
It was the very picture of life, a world of peace, full of joy.
Link took it all in, his eyes wide, his pain and exhaustion forgotten for the moment.
Castle Town had been transformed. It was now finally starting to look like the peaceful, bustling place they had intended it to be.
He looked at Zelda, unable to express his feelings, but she smiled at him, a hint of tears in her eyes, and he knew she understood.
The others were smiling too, and he finally felt full of hope again.
This was the world he would be living in from now on. The time of darkness was over. And his people needed him.